Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 21, 2005, 7:51 AM   #1

After months of research I have narrowed my choices down to these two cameras Fuji fine pix S5100 and the Olympus C750UZ. If Any users of these 2 cameras can give some pros and cons so I can make my final decision, It would be much appreciated ?? If there are any other good choices that I may have overlooked, please feel free to include them. I am kind of partial to AA batteries since I have the rechargables already and in a pinch I can always buy off the shelf.

THanks

Dian
dianls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2005, 11:21 AM   #2

Dian,

I own aFuji S5100. I too, researched digicams to death before I made my purchase. I also had considered the Oly and the Panasonic Lumix. The S5100 had all of my "must have" features, such as 10x zoom, 4 MP, AF assist lamp, great picture quality, good video capability, and the ability to use AA batteries (I've been using NiMH's for a while). The clincher was the fact that the S5100 fit perfectly in my hand, was very well balanced, and I could operate most of the essential functions with one hand. I also felt it offered the most value for the dollar versus the other models I had considered.

I don't think you can get much better a camera than the S5100 for the money, but that's my opinion. Whatever camera you decide to buy must be one that you're going to be happy with.

Good luck.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3

I own an Olympus C-755, which is identical to the C-750. I also considered the Fuji S-5100, which has great features and picture quality. I think the image quality of the Olympus is slightly better. Other advantages of the Olympus I saw were the remote control capability, and ergonomics--thefact that the zoom lever on the Olympus is on the front around the shutter.On the Fuji it is on the rear--in an impossible position to operate while wearing glasses and using my left eye in the viewfinder.
hakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:13 PM   #4

I believe the C-750 is a discontinued model, so you can probably find one at a reduced price. I was originally looking at the C-765, which has similar features to the S5100. My cons for the C-765 were the proprietary Lithium-Ion battery, and the location of the zoom control (surrounding the shutter release button - I prefer to use my thumb). In addition, at the time, the C-765 was selling for about $100 more than I paid for my S5100. That $100 paid for two 256 xD cards, a case, and a UV filter, with a couple dollars left over...I already had a supply of NiMH batteries and a couple of chargers.

I am left-eyed, and wear glasses. However, I take my glasses off when I use my S5100 and use the viewfinder. The diopter control adjacent to the viewfinder adjusts to suit my visual acuity (or lack thereof). I have no trouble using the zoom control while composing the shot.

I cannot say which camera takes the best quality pictures, since I've never used a C-765 (other than play with one in a store). I've studied pictures posted to numerous sites, taken by both cameras, and I can't see a real advantage to either...they both take quality pictures.

Go to a store where you can play around with both cameras. If nothing else, pick the one that feels the best in your hand. If it's not comfortable, you won't enjoy using it.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:46 PM   #5

Hi: I currently own 4 digicams, one of which is the UZ. And I have tried and used numereous digicams. My humble 2 cents: Both the Fuji and the Olympus are excellent value for the money, and you will enjoy which ever one that you decide on. They both will give you 10x zoom and 4mp. (Oly lens: 38-380 and Fuji is37-370).

You need to decide under what conditions you use your camera most of the time. Are on the go a lot, or do you take a lot of photos from a static position? Indoors or out? How you use your camera has a big impact on which design you will like better in the long run.

I agree with Hakaplan; the Oly photo quality and the ergonomics is better than the Fuji. And he's so right about the position of the zoom lever. It's in absolutely the perfect spot. I perfer to use my left eye on the viewfinder, andtheFuji requires you use your right eye or your face will block the zoom lever. With the Oly, it doesn't matter how you position your face behind the camera. And with your shutter finger right there at the zoom lever, its so easy to make minor zoom adjustments right up to the decisive motive of shutter release.

The Oly is lighter and thinner than the Fuji; for me that is important, but it may not be for you. I travel constantly, and I throwthe Oly in a thin briefcase (packed with all my papers)without a worry, I can't do that with the Fuji. I have literally taken it from coast to coast a more times than I can count, and have taken hundreds of great shots from all over.I can also stick it in my overcoat pocket when walking (when you don't want to advertise that you're carry a camera).

Anyway, the point is: both cameras are good, but itsnot just the camera specs; its your personal shooting habits that will help you enjoythe right camera even more than MP and zoom.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:27 PM   #6

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
I am left-eyed, and wear glasses. However, I take my glasses off when I use my S5100 and use the viewfinder. The diopter control adjacent to the viewfinder adjusts to suit my visual acuity (or lack thereof). I have no trouble using the zoom control while composing the shot.
I'm virtually blind without my glasses and couldn't fathom having to remove them every time I go to shoot. That's why I never really understood the diopter adjustment. If your vision is bad enough to need it, thenwhat are you using for vision correction when you're not looking in the viewfinder--unless you maybe only need the glasses for close up?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:55 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I decided on the fuji. And that is my final answer!! If I keep this up, I will be second guessing myself on every camera out there.

What brand XD card do you all suggest? I read somewhere that the XD card is not very popular. Why is that?

Thanks

Dian
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:18 PM   #8

dianls wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I decided on the fuji. And that is my final answer!! If I keep this up, I will be second guessing myself on every camera out there.

What brand XD card do you all suggest? I read somewhere that the XD card is not very popular. Why is that?
Because it's more expensive than most of the other card formats, and being so much newer and smaller, it's only just become available in 1GB.Many existing Fuji and Olympus cameras will only accept up to 512MB cards--not a big deal--just buy more than one card if necessary. All brands work just fine.

Forgot one other thing--C750 has a hot shoe to add an external flash, Fuji does not.

Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:50 PM   #9

Thanks

Appreciate all the help

dian