Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2005, 2:37 PM   #1

Maybe this is a generic question about jumping to the next level but I'mstruggling with the whole quality issue. Apples to apples the features are about the same other than the Minolta has a huge advantage in the zoom and the Canon has the ISO 1600 and the lens change out. The Minolta 12x optical is equivalent to a 420mm which at the 320 ISO takes a good picture.

If I'm likely not going to change lens what is the advantage of going to the SLR?

[align=left]Thanks,[/align]

[align=left]Patrick[/align]
jpato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2005, 8:52 PM   #2

You can fit a super telephoto lens which will have over 20x optical zoom on the Canon 300D. You may consider even to get the better 350D
Ixus 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:20 AM   #3

Apples for apples there is no question that the Canon DSLR's will take far better pictures than the Z5. But it is also true to say that one lens for the Canon could potentially cost the same as the entire Z5!

At this level it less about the picture quality and more about your ability as photographer. I had similar thoughts about going the DSLR route, but after seeing the price of the camera and of the various lenses and flashes it became clear to me that I just wasn't that much of a photography enthusiast to warrant the expense of owning a DSLR.

So the question is around how much of a hobbyist you really are, if you can see yourself being happy to spend the extra, and will enjoy using all the advanced professional options you get with a DSLR then go for it, but if like me you will be taking most pictures on a semi point and click basis then you need to think if the extra money is really worth it for what you want out of a camera. DSLR's for me are more for people that have photography as their main serious hobby and know all about what the settings do etc, or people that need it for their work.

Going from a Z5 to a 300D is a big leap not just in terms of quality, but in terms of the way you use it.

On a separate note, I spotted a Z5 in a store the other day and was disappointed by how low quality the casing felt, it seemed very plasticy and cheap to me, maybe it was because it was silver as they are less forgiving when it comes to the look of cheap material, But it didn't feel very nice to hold IMHO...
apnomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys

I tried out both and just felt more comfortable with the 300d and its quality. For sure paid for it but, maybe I was stuck on getting back to the SLR, I just did not get a good feel for the output of the Minolta. Something nagging so I ponied up and after a few "rolls" I'm veryhappy with the decision.

Patrick
jpato is offline   Reply With Quote