Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 27, 2005, 2:00 PM   #11

I am a long time 35mm SLR user, I have used nothing but SLR cameras since 1978 (Pentax K mount manual focus and then Minolta Maxxum AF gear). This year I bought a Fuji S7000 since I could not afford a DSLR in the lens mount I use. The idea was that this would be a stopgap camera which would give me decent capabilities until I could get the DSLR, now I am not so certain I want one.

It is a liberating experience to carry one small camera bag with just the camera, a few Cokin filters, spare batteriesand a small external flash and still have an equivalet lens range from 35mm to 200mm and no focal length slower than f3.1. I have used DSLRs belonging to friends of mine and there is no doubt that they have superior image quality, especially at high ISO, but for the majority of my work the quality of this Fuji is equal to the quality of 35mm film of the same ISO. The shutter lag of the Fuji is not a problem for my typical photography, but if you are into sports action you may have a greater need for a DSLR.

If I were serious about professional photography I would recommend nothing but a DSLR, however as a semi-serious amateur who does an occasional job for pay, I enjoy not having to haul around the large bag of lenses and accessories I needed to get the flexibility I now have from a camera alone.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 7:02 PM   #12

Monza76. More good information! I think at this point I am considering the prosumer point and shoot. I think that this will handle my needs for now. If I feel I need more then I'll go DSL. But I'm not one to take major leaps....I like to tiptoe up the ladder. I really appreciate all the input, it has been a tremendous help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!
starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 8:07 PM   #13

My advice is very simple. I, too, am considering stepping up to DSLR. I have owned about 5 digital cameras. The last was a S7000, which was stolen. What the other people have said about the super ior quality of DSLR's pics seems to be true. However, I really liked my S7000. It was so easy to carry around and use in a variety of settings. Picture quality was pretty good.

I think you can pick up a new S7000 for somewhere in the mid 400's online. I haven't owned but do also like the looks of Minolta's A200. I would urge you to consider getting one of these top prosumer cameras, learning what they can do as well as getting a little bit more into the technical side of photograghy, then upgrading to a DSLR in the next year or two, when prices have dropped further.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 5:56 AM   #14

Robbo, Thanks, I will definately look into these. I still have a lot of time so I can do a lot more research. But you are right...the prices will come down, just like my camera that I bought for $500.00 you can now buy for $200.00 less.
Old May 28, 2005, 8:25 PM   #15

Maybe its just me, but spending $400 on a point-and-shoot with the plan of buying an SLR in a year or so seems a bit silly. Couldn't the $400 be put toward buying a better quality SLR lens?
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 8:34 PM   #16

To describe either the S7000 or the A200 as a point and shoot is inaccurate. Either is a significant upgrade from the C4000 and both are capable of taking great landscapes and macros and whatever. The minimum price on any DSLR with a kit lens other than the original Digital Rebel is about $775. If somebody wants to do lots of low light action shots, then a DSLR is probably a better option. If a person is a novice hobby photographer, I think that the purchase of a prosumer is a viable option, not silly at all.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 9:14 PM   #17

I moved to digital 6 years ago after 45 years of shoooting 35mm rangefinder and SLR. I started with a Nikon CP950 and it has done a great job. I recently upgraded, had intended to buy the Minolta A200 but once I picked up the Nikon D70 I was sold on it.

I haven't had the chance to take more than a couple pictures with it so far but I think I made the right decision for my needs.
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 2:36 AM   #18

Hello there! I guess I'm about in the same boat as you are. I'm still new to photography but after several months of having fun with my Minolta Z3, I'm hooked. I also plan tobuy adslr in the future -mainly for shooting better portraits and indoor low-light situations. I've narrowed my choices to the Nikon D70 and the Pentax *istDs. In terms of price, the Pentax is almost the same with the high end non-dslr types (Fuji S700, A200, etc.). There are several things that I don't think I'll be able to do with the dslr though (that I currently can do with my Z3):

1) Carry it around in a belt bag everyday at work together with my cellphone, pda,and notebook,etc.

2)Carry it with me while climbing rooftops, towers, and other hard to reach perches

3) Let my 7 year old take shots with the camera

4) Teach my wife how to use it
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 7:41 AM   #19

I recently went from a point and shoot to a dslr. The dslr is a pleasure to use. It's so much faster. The photos look better. If you can afford it you won't regret buying a dslr instead of a point and shoot.

People talk about the expense of lenses but really you will get along just fine at first with the "kit lens" that comes with some dslr's. Then once and a while you get a new lens when you feel you need it.

Just try one out at your local camera shop and I think you'll be sold. I stressed over it for a while, wether to buy a P&S or a DSLR. Now that I have it I know I made the right choice. Plus I still have my old P&S for backup.

Rotti123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:33 AM   #20

[align=left]Well, I'm still searching! I stopped by the Ritz camera store to "try" out some cameras. I tried the Nikon 8800 and the Nikon D70. (that's all they had) The coolpix felt quite comfortable but the D70 felt very heavy. And of course the store manager tried to convince me that SLR was the only way to go. To be honest, I am a bit intiminated (sp) by the SLR's. They sound awesome, but I'm afraid its too much camera for me and the expense of the lenses are a bit much. Now I'm looking at the Canon EOS Rebel XT also. The features that I love about the Coolpix 8800 are 10x zoom/ VR/ macro/BSS. Yet I love the possibilities of the SLR's. There are some add-on lenses you can get for the coolpix (telephoto and wide angle) Are they a waste of time do you think? I guess what I'm asking is this....I'm going to spend a lot of money either way....would I be terribly dissappointed with the Coolpix 8800? Or is a SLR simple enough for a budding photographer? I know I can add lenses later. The anti shake feature is also an important factor for me. I guess I'm just looking for a gentile push in the right direction. Maybe some pros and cons? This site has been a tremendous help, and I value all the input I have received , I am just the typical woman who can't make up her mind. I'd love to here from you...Thanks.:?[/align]