Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:33 AM   #21

I just switched from an Oly UZI to a Ist DS.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a specific situation for which you need a DSLR.

The lenses are expensive. AND I need three to replace my old camera (28mm -380mm) (NOT including the WCON and the TCON)

The manual focus on the UZI is better. The viewfinder would 'zoom' as soon as it was adjusted. I'm sure I'll get used to guesstimating the focus spot on the ist, or buy an expensive digital viewfinder, which it should have in the first place. Problem is, there's no purist that would buy one, and they'd flip at the suggestion. Gotta have a mirror.

The DSLR is radically easier to manually operate.

Does it take better pictures? So far, I'd say it takes larger pictures. As any UZI owner will say, It's a hard act to follow.

I took the UZI overseas, the DSLR would lose hands down on a trip.

I'm givingthe UZIto my lucky brother, and I'll start saving to buy lenses.
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 3:46 PM   #22

My last reply before this was last May29. Since then, I've finally made the plunge and purchased a Pentax *istDs. The price of the Ds is not that far off from the higher end ultrazooms (Nikon 8800). Plus, it's one of the smallest dslrs in the market. All I can say is it's different and I have whole new horizons to explore (which is probably one of the best part). If you're comfortable with using the full manual features of your current digicam, then you can easily start using your first dslr. I've posted my initial impressions in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

I still love my Minolta Z3. It will continue to be my everday camera. But for more serious shooting, I'll always choose the Pentax Ds.

Nols

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:45 PM   #23

I'd still like an answer to the question of whether or not a DSLR has better image quality than a point and shoot of the same image size and why.
steve collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:37 PM   #24

The CCD (or CMOS) is larger for the same image.

I don't have a 2MP SLR to put up againstthe 2MPP&S, otherwise I'd do a compare. There's 1.8 (1.6?) SLR pics floating around, they're great!

I do know there are great 8x10 2mp P&S pics all over on the web. Look through some of the archives here. Decide for yourself- It's easy to theorize, but you have all the information you need to make your own decision.

Again, I'm looking at spending a ton of money to get the range of my old P&S. It cost $600.

The DSLR is ~$600, WA zoom lens is ~$400 (or more!!!!) Intermediate's not bad, they're cheap enough on e-bay to go through a few 'til you get a good one, but the tele-zoom is going to be spendy!!!!

And add a WCON and TCON to your P&S and you'd be looking at mucho dinero to match them w/ SLR lenses.
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:52 PM   #25

Starship, it's no wonder you're finding it difficult to make up your mind. The possibilities are endless... or close enough to be bewildering.

If you don't mind, I'd like to suggest a back-to-square-one exercise. Think about your C4000. If possible, get it out and spend a little time shooting with it. It's a great little camera, by the way; mine has served me well.

What are the things you really like about the C4000? There are bound to be some features that feel just right to you, and you should probably look for those qualities in your next camera, too.

Just as important, what about the C4000 frustrates you? What are the things you want it to do that it can't, or that it doesn't do easily or well? That probably tells you the rest of what you should be looking for.

If you feel like making lists, you can probably come up with some important points to investigate about any prospective camera purchase. You may not find any one camera that does everything you'd like, but then you can decide that some features are more important to you than others.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 5:50 AM   #26

Thanks..Panzergnome & Robbo. I went to the only other camera shop that we have in our area. Much better than the Ritz store. They let me play with the cameras for a while and of course they tell me to go DSLR , and I must agree they are nice ! I think I'm leaning towards the Nikon D70 against the Canon Rebel XT. It is a heavier camera but I like the way the controls are laid out and the menu is much clearer. And now there is the Nikon D50! I guess I had better choose before the ones I'm looking at become obsolete! At this point in time it comes down to the money. The lens are my biggest concern as I know if I go DSLR, I'll definately want the larger zoom and extra wide angle at some point. So on with my lists of pros and cons and I will continue reading the forums....there is a world of info here! I'll let you know what I decide to purchase....in the meantime I'm ready to listen to anyones opinions. Thanks all:-)
starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 7:04 AM   #27

I too recently upgraded from a P&S to a DSLR. Since I've changed, I swore I would never go back to a P&S camera. The quality difference is one thing, but the fact that I can take shots with the camera that I otherwise couldn't with a P&S without a tripod is amazing.

There are many pros and cons to strongly consider however. I bought a DSLR not because of photo quality (although that is a bonus), but because it provides me with the functionality and ability to take the photos I want. The catch is I have a larger, slightly heavier camera to move around. You have to really ask yourself a bunch of questions and see what fits you most. Think about all the situations you want to use a camera and then ask yourself if it's overkill to go with a DSLR or if it's appropriate to have one. Whichever category you chose, I guarantee you will be upset if the cons outweigh the pros for that given situation.

Here are some pros/cons for you. The pros for one category are the cons for the other, and vise-versa

P&S Pros:
1) Portability – Smaller and light weight
2) LCD – You can take photos looking through the LCD instead of the viewfinder
3) Remote Control – Far better remote control capabilities (if you need it)
4) Movie mode – Believe me, it is a handy and wonderful thing to have at times

P&S Cons:
1) Quality – Noisier images, slightly blurry photos (needs post processing to correct)
2) Poor light gathering – Even when in what would seem like a well lit room, you may need to use a tripod just to get the right exposure.

DSLR Pros:
1) Interchangeable lens – Need I say more? =)
2) Quality – Quality is only limited to the lens you use. Much sharper and higher contrast
3) Speed – DSLRs have more light gathering power, thus allowing you to take shots faster. Adversely, DSLRs support a very high f-stop so you can create artistic effects (blurred movement) even on the brightest of days with proper exposure.
4) RAW support - This topic has a life of its own, so I'll let it float with that.

DSLR Cons:
1) Portability Unfriendly - Bigger, heavier
2) $$$ - Don't kid yourself about costs. This is an expensive hobby/profession

If you would also like to save a few bucks, the Digital Rebel is a lot cheaper than the Digital Rebel XT and is still an excellent camera. With the money you save, you can put it towards a better lens. Perhaps a lens that supports IS (image stabilization) since you want "anti-shake" capabilities. Whatever you do, don't give in to intimidation by some sales guy or buy impulsively. A camera can provide you years of enjoyment and at the same time it can provide you years of torment. "Try before you buy".
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:48 AM   #28

TheGhost...good points to ponder. I will admit I don't know if I want to lug a big heavy camera around, yet I realize the DSLR would give me awesome pictures, but from what I've read the Nikon coolpix 8800 is one heck of a p&s. I think your post has brought me back down to earth. Don't be shocked everyone....I have finally made up my mind...I'm going for the coolpix. I can always upgrade down the road ...when the DSL prices come down. In the meantime maybe I can work on my shooting skills. Thanks all
Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:25 PM   #29

I think I can promise you this, Starship: work with the 8800, get to know its strengths, its weaknesses, and its quirks, and you WILL get awesome photos with it. Not necessarily the same ones you would have gotten with an SLR, but they will be uniquely yours.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 5:08 AM   #30

Robb, thanks for your support. I think I'll be happy as the coolpix is a lot more camera than I have now.