Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:51 AM   #1

Hi,

I am planning to buy a digital camera which is easy to carry around. Not looking for top of the notch ones available in the market but anything around 5MegaPixel will serve my purpose. I currently own Canon powershot G2 but it is just too big to slip in a jean's poket :-)

My criterias arethat it should be small in size, light weight and supporting CF card of around 1GB. I checked many websites but no one provides weight as a criteria for sorting the cameras.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Vishal
vishal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2005, 12:53 PM   #2

the small lightweights now only seem to support SD cards now.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 3:47 PM   #3

Okay, i can consider going for SD instead of CF. Can you recommend some model ?

Thanks
vishal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 4:15 PM   #4
Administrator

You'll find an Ultra Compact - Pocketable category in the Best Cameras List that you may want to use as a starting point.

But, keep in mind that the smaller the camera, the more compromises a manufacturer tends to make (ergonomics, control layout, features, lens quality/brightness, viewfinder useability, flash range, etc.).

You can't expect to find a camera with a bright f/2.0-2.5 lens like your G2 has in a small camera. So, you'll need to be aware of things like needing to use the flash in more lighting conditions compared to your G2. The lenses on most subcompact models will be around twice as dark at their wide angle setting compared to your G2, and several times or more as dark at full zoom. So, shutter speeds will need to be anywhere from about 2 to4 times as long for any given lighting condition and ISO speed for proper exposure in less than optimum lighting

Make sure to check out the flash range for models you consider, and keep in mind that unlike your G2, these don't have a hotshoe for an external flash. Of course, redeye will be worse on a smaller models, too (since their flashes are located closer to the lens).

After narrowing down your choices, I'd alsomake sure to "test drive" models you are considering in a store (to make sure you're comfortable with their operation). For example, you may not like models that have the lens on one side of the camera, since this can make it difficult to hold them with two hands without fingers getting in the way of the lens).

Very small models can be "ergonomically challenging"for some users. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 4:54 PM   #5

Take a look at the new Fuji Z1. It seems to meet most of your criteria, except for the memory...Fuji uses xD cards. 3.5" x 2.2" x 0.73", 4.6 oz. Here's a link:

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...8&CAT_ID=-1007

You might have to wait a little while, I'm not sure if it has hit the stores yet.

the Hun

Attached Images

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 5:35 PM   #6

An update on the Z1...a review:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...34/page_1.html

...and someone who claims to have them in stock:

http://www.digitaletailer.com/shop/p...spx?sku=FUJIZ1

I don't know if they have it in black or not.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 8:34 PM   #7
Administrator

Vishal:

If you don't really need the smallest and lightest available (but only one that can fit in a pants pocket), and don't mind not having the latest and greatest model, the Canon S410 or S500 models are relatively small (and meet your desire for a camera that can use CompactFlash cards).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote