Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:52 PM   #11

It varies by lens size and type, for the ever popular PRO grade EF 70-200 F2.8 L lens IS adds 1000$cdn to the price. Or almost 1/3 the cost of that particular lens.Not a cheap feature:?.

For the consumer grade 75-300 F4-F5.6 USM it about triplesthe price taking the lens from 250$cdn to 650$cdn.

Not an inexpensive add- on however you look at it, and to have that featurein body and usable for any lens is quite a bonus.

Peter.

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure how much cost IS adds to a lens, per se.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:09 AM   #12

I'm going to head back to the store and try taking more pictures. See if I can figure out why I was getting better pictures from the 20D. I'm still torn, both camera's are incredible.
JonnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:04 AM   #13
NHL

Trust me on this: the Minolta 70-200 f/2.8 is absolutely THE BEST in both 'bokeh' and sharpness.
http://www.photographyreview.com/psc...9_3128crx.aspx

BTW It's also a 'G' lens i.e. white just like the Canon 'L' :blah:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:53 AM   #14

Minolta is notorious for charging customers for firmware updates for their cameras. The last one I bought cost me $50. If you're sureno hardware/software issues will crop up, the Maxxum may be a good choice, otherwise, I would go with the Cannon.

--Casey
septik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 6:06 PM   #15
Super Moderator

i think that canon has the definite edge is flexibility.. they offer more lens options, more flash options.. and more camera options..

i think another point to make is for future upgradeability.. right now i own a 20d and several eos lenses, it is reassuring for me to know that if i want to upgrade in the future, there will be several options for me.. (i.e. eos 1d mkii, eos 1dsmkii).. or if i wantthe next one available, i know that canon will be ahead of the game with their 30d, 40d etc...

that said the7d is a great camera with many things going for it, and would serve nearly anyone very well....i wouldjust behesitant because it took them so long to getinto the game, and only offer 1 model and i would be a little scaredthat my upgrade would be late in coming as well, and to not have that option of going to a 1dsmkii level camera if i wanted..(not to mention therelative high price for a 6.1 mp camera)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:37 PM   #16
NHL

septik wrote:
Quote:
Minolta is notorious for charging customers for firmware updates for their cameras. The last one I bought cost me $50. If you're sure no hardware/software issues will crop up, the Maxxum may be a good choice, otherwise, I would go with the Cannon.
I don't believe this is correct since I paid for this myself
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_...e7_firmup.html
There were two firmware upgrades prior to this and they were all for free!!!

What they did was to give you a new camera for just $50
Can you imagine Canon do the same in giving you the feature of the 350/XT on the 300D/Drebel for $50???
... I'm not talking about the extra Mpixels or the speed here which what was Minolta did - they gave you the features of a brand new model on an older camera instead of forcing you to buy a new one

BTW Canon still cripple their 300D/Drebel!
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:40 PM   #17
NHL

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i think that canon has the definite edge is flexibility.. they offer more lens options, more flash options.. and more camera options...
Canon actually 'copy' the flash features from Minolta almost a decade afterward:
"When Canon finally caught up and introduced a similar wireless feature almost 9 years after Minolta's introduction, they acted as if they were the first to do it, and few called them on it." http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm

Guess who invented the AF system first?
"In February 1985, two months prior to the release of the "T80" camera, an event that rocked the camera industry occurred. Minolta introduced a true AF 35mm SLR camera, "Minolta a-7000," followed by the "Minolta a-9000" in September, while Nikon released "Nikon F-501" camera in April 1986."
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/h...1987_1991.html

What lenses that Canon have that Minolta don't?
If any the Minolta AF is so good that they are the only one who can manufactured an AF mirror lens...
http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?...ber=3&preview=

Remember all Minolta lenses are now IS enabled with the 'anti-shake' built into the body - One can't say the same thing for Canon... and it'll cost you a lot more anyway since all those independent IS lenses would add up :?
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:49 PM   #18

Canon has changed and abandoned lens mounts in the past. It is not likely they will do so anytime soon, but it is always a possibility that some day they may do so again.

Peter.

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i think another point to make is for future upgradeability.. right now i own a 20d and several eos lenses, it is reassuring for me to know that if i want to upgrade in the future, there will be several options for me.. (i.e. eos 1d mkii, eos 1dsmkii).. or if i want the next one available, i know that canon will be ahead of the game with their 30d, 40d etc...
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:16 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i think that canon has the definite edge is flexibility.. they offer more lens options, more flash options.. and more camera options..

i digress on this statement.. it seems that the #'s speak to a differencet that is nil at best... i would also like to note that i was not implying that canon did anything first or best, it just "appears" that they have more options.. :G

but i still think that they offer an advantage in flexibility in choosing models from many different categories from amateur to professionalfor one to work up using their same lenses if one so desires...

PeterPwrote:

Canon has changed and abandoned lens mounts in the past. It is not likely they will do so anytime soon, but it is always a possibility that some day they may do so again.

all i can say is "god i hope not"... but good point... :G

BTW- this is not the only place i tend to err on the side of bold statements.. i have had many research papers returned for rewording... hehe.. :O

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:39 PM   #20
NHL

IMHO - the IS should be in the body and not the lens... :idea:

Canon made this mistake before with their first AF system which was also in the lenses - http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...SLRs/canont80/
-> and ended up being a flop with the coming of the Minolta AF in the body

BTW guess who made the first dSLR, or even the 2nd for that matter?
Hint it's not Canon or Nikon... but a company which start with 'M' - just do some googling :-)

How about the 1st 'digital' lens??? ie APS sized interchangeable lenses for smaller sensor... You guessed it! :G

Minolta may not have any commercial sucess lately, but they had a long heritage of innovation - I don't expect that to change: After all they dominate the advanced consumer models with the D7/i/Hi/A1/A2/A200 after only two years!

I would watch the 'next' Minolta dSLR release seriously...