Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:19 AM   #1

I'm down to 2 choices, and really cannot decide. I like the 20D for it's speed, but the 7D has a nicer viewfinder, nicer screen, anti-shake, and just feels better.

I'll mostly be taking family pictures of my two 4 and 6 year olds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jon
JonnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 2:19 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The 7D feels better to you. Case closed.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:14 PM   #3

Why not the Rebel or the Rebel XT?

Less money than the 20D or the Maxxum, but great picture quality.

Save the extra $$$'s and put the cash towards a nice lens.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:47 PM   #4
NHL

The Minolta has the best 70-200 2.8 "G" lens in this category period!

-> Also you pay for the 'antishake' feature only once - but then all your lenses will be 'IS' enabled including 3rd party or lenses made ~ten years ago... IMO speed is not critical nor the extra few pixels - There's a lot going for Minolta, including the only AF mirror lens on the market
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:53 PM   #5

Good point NHL.

The way that Canon is dominating the market, should one ever want to "trade up" to another camera, I'd be glad I invested in Canon lenses.

If you've noticed, Nikon hasn't come out with many new cameras lately (other than the D70), and Minolta has the Maxxum only.

It would be worth considering what "system" you'd want to invest in, in the long term.

I know that some day I will tire of my 20D, and some new Canon will catch my eye, but hopefully I will be able to carry over my investment in Canon lenses to the new camera body I'd purchased.

To me, the Maxxum represents a photographic "dead end". I've been noticing people dumping minolta film lenses on ebay. Maybe they know something we don't.

-- Terry

Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:54 AM   #6

I went to the store and took a bunch of pics with both. It seemed I could get better pics with the 20D. Probably just my lack of knowledge, but for someone that knew next to nothing about either, the 20D seemed to take better pics. Mostly when having a bright window in the background.

The 350xt is not out of the picture yet, but I liked the feel of the 20D much better.
JonnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:26 PM   #7

JohnnyD,

If you like the feel of the 20D and can afford it, by all means go for it.

The 20D has a max ISO of 3200 in comparison to the XT's 1600, which can be very handy at times. I also heard that the XT has lower resolution than the 20D, (they are both 8 meg), but somehow the resolutoin has been detuned on the XT.

I have the 20D and it continues to amaze me. It's really like owning a Mercedes. Such a classy camera.

Maybe not as good for sports as the Nikon D70 (has higher flash synchronization), but for general photography, it can't be beat (unless you can afford the Canon 1Ds, which is an $8,000 camera!!).

I'd say if you have the cash, get the 20D and never look back! Then we can talk about lenses....

Terry

Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:52 PM   #8

If you can, give them both a tryout! But I'd go with the one that feels the best to you. The Minolta does havea lot going for it. (I'm mostly a Canon user myself).

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 4:25 PM   #9
NHL

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
To me, the Maxxum represents a photographic "dead end". I've been noticing people dumping minolta film lenses on ebay...
This is a fantastic opportunity :idea:
Were else can you get better deal for lenses?

I picked up an almost new F5 last year this way... BTW I still have my Maxxum system (and the Canon FD "dead end" system before that)

FYI - Can any other camera do this 1/6s handheld @ ISO-3200 in a dark church with a regular lens?
http://img.dpreview.com/gallery/engi...olta7d_preview
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:07 PM   #10

NHL,

Yah, that's a pretty cool shot.

I can see why your interested in having the IS built into the camera body!

I'm not sure how much cost IS adds to a lense, per se.

I was out shooting with a lady who works for a paper, who is somewhat new to digital, and didn't realize her lens had IS. I showed her how to turn IS on.

As for me, I don't really do much low light stuff, mainly sports, so IS isn't really much of an interest for me.

Yes, I have an old Canon A-1 with five FD lenses sitting up in the attic. I just stare at those manual focus fast lenses and think "what a waste!".

-- Terry