Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:12 PM   #1

i'm a beginner, right now i'm searching for my first digicam.

need your advice, thanx.
matan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:55 PM   #2

Hi Mantan: for a beginner, I recommend that you look at the new Olympus D-595. (sold as the C-500 in Europe.) It's the same size as the older D-540, but is 5MP instead of 3MP, and very competively priced for the features. Picture quality is excellent, even with 8x10 blowups. Easy to use, and designed for a beginner, but itisa camera that you cangrow with.

It's also very reasonably priced: Beach Camera has it at $198 and BuyDig.com is $199.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021710oly_d595z.asp

Good luck in your search, and remember to research the seller as much as the camera. There's a lot of crooks selling cameras on the internet, but there is also a lot of good, honest dealers on the internetwho deliver what you expect. Always check seller ratings, and don't let them pressure you into buying something different than you ask for.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:28 AM   #3

Hi Steven. I live in israel, and the cameras in Israel are very expensive.

The D-595 priced in Israel $320 so I can say that I can't buy it because I can't allow myself.

The Pentax Optio 30 priced $204, three years warranty.

The Olympus D-540 priced $217, two years warranty.

What do you thinkI should buy?
matan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:59 AM   #4

The beauty of the internet is that you are no longer restricted to buying locally. A reputable camera retailer like Beach Camera, Willoughby's, etc shipp overseas with no problem. Even with the higher shipping and insurance costs, its still going to be cheaper than your quoted prices, no matter which camera you purchase.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I like both Pentax and Oly, but I give the edge to Oly. I really would try for the new D-595 (C-500) and would try to order it from a reputable dealer in the USA or England. If you have a VisaCredit Card or Mastercharge Card, that will automatically handle the currency conversion for you. If not, you will need to purchase a money order in US $. Just research the sellers well before you buy.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Good luck.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote