Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2005, 3:36 AM   #1

My Kodak 4800 finally crashed and burned. I'm looking for a versatile camera for taking action shots (rodeos/equestrian) so need a minimum delay shutter and 4-5 burst shots would be nice too. Wide angle and telephoto important, not much need for macro.I use a lot of picsfor flyers/brochures,sell some and would also like to start putting some short video clips on my website. I take a lot of small group shots inside and I'm pretty good with Adobe Photoshop.

Been looking at Fuji Finepix S5100 or the Olympus C88080 Wide Zoom but should I consider some others (pretty overwhelming...all the choices now days.) Had put off buying cause I really wanted some video that I could pull frames from for 8 x 10's but I don't know if that's even possible??? Any tips will be very much appreciated! Budget is about $350 - $600.
heeler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:10 PM   #2

Hi Heeler77: I'll give you my humble 2 cents worth. The Fuji S5100 is a nice camera for it's class, but it is nowhere near the performance of a C8080. The Fuji is, however, only about half the cost of the Oly C8080. You need to decide on your cost benefit limits, and what quality you are okay with.

Asthe owner of numereous digicams, including the C8080, I can tell you thatthe 8MPOly is absolutely superb, with super photos from anextremely high quality lens.What you would give up is the smaller size and longer zoom of the Fuji.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:57 PM   #3

That's a good report....will I be able to capture some short video with it for my website or will I need special software etc for that?

thanks
heeler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 9:21 PM   #4

Stay away from the Fuji. For about $500 you can pick the Nikon 8400, Oly 7070, Canon G6 or the Sony DSC-V3.

The Oly 8080 takes great pictures and is built like a tank but it is slow and had a host of other issues
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:10 PM   #5

Heeler77: Yes, The C8080 takes video with or without sound, limited only by the card capacity. The C8080 holds both the xD card, plus Compact Flash (or microdrives). As an owner of quite a few digicams, I can honestly say the C8080is my favorite camera to use.

Most of the people who knock it are those who don't actually own it, or haven't worked with it long enough to understand the huge range of features. It's a big, heavy camera that will inspire more confidence as you get more used to its capabilities. (Kind of like a Cadillac vs. a Malibu.) It's not for every situation,fora compact,lighter camera to stick in my pocket, I still carry asmall p&s.

Isn't it wonderful to be faced with a lot of good choices?? Just think back to a few years ago, and how much we had to pay for 2MP with few features. Today, it's just as important to research the seller to weed out the internet crooks. Lots of bad dealers, but few bad cameras.

Take care,

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote