Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2005, 3:57 AM   #1

I already have an S1 IS (and don't plan to upgrade to the S2 at this time if ever), but I'm looking for a carry-with-me-all-the-time camera, as my S1, while it fits in my pocket, puts out too much of a bulge.
I don't mind a slightly taller camera (may be necessary to get the aperture I want) - I want it to be shorter front-to-back when the lens is retracted.
I would like at least 2 megapixels, fairly clean images at ISO 400 (about as good as you can get in a consumer cam) or ISO 800 (and the ability to shoot at 1600 or higher before exposure compensation would be nice), no slower than F/4.0 at full zoom and at least F/2.8 at wideangle, a telephoto to at least 72mm (but not more than 180mm).
For example, something that might be good would be something like a 2 megapixel camera with a 36-108mm F/1.4 to F/2.8 lens using a 2/3" sensor.
Being realistic, though, I would like at least 2 or 3 (preferably 4) stops better light sensitivity than my S1 IS, and would be willing to give up zoom past 108 or 144 mm and maybe even willing to trim a megapixel.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2005, 4:45 AM   #2

How about Canon's IXUS or Casio Exelims series?
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:02 AM   #3
Baz

I cant wait to see answer to your quest.
Wow, compact carry-all camera, short from front to back.
2MP.. ISO 400 - 1600
f1.4 - 2.8.. 2/3 sensor
4 stops better than your S1 IS.

Does it exist? I cant wait to find out. But I think you are hopefull, especially with a 2/3" sensor, & 1600 ISO.

In the meantime, if you could consider an extremely compact carry all camera the Minolta X20 is not too bad. I have one in addition to my Fuji 6mp camera, as a carry-all one.

It is a 2mp, 3x optical zoom, ISO 64 - 400, f2.8-f3.7, macro to 4", 2xAA batteries, video, and it is only the size of a packet of cigarettes, even thinner! Despite it's modest specifications, I've printed excellent A4 prints from this camera. There are some later more expensive Minolta X models, X31, X50, etc, but from comments I've seen on forums, seems the X20 results are just as good.

Good luck.. I cant wait.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:33 AM   #4

If being small is most important then the Sony P200 is lovely, takes good pictures too from what I've seen from my cousin. It's also 7MP, however I'm not sure about your other more advanced requirements, I guess probably not. However it does use Sony's good ole Memory Stick technology which may put you off some what.

I've heard good things about ths Ixus range though and they are pretty small too...
apnomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:02 AM   #5

a couple I've been looking at include the Canon S30 and the Sony V1.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:54 AM   #6

I'm curious what those two have even remotely to do with your first post other than that they are digital cameras.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:58 PM   #7

those two cameras happen to be as close to the criteria I'm looking for as I have found so far.

The Canon S30 has an ISO 800 that, while noisy, could be tolerable in some cases, uses compact flash, is not too large, but stops down to F/4.8 at full zoom

The Sony V1 has a somewhat usable ISO 800 (judging from a few test pics I've seen), a lens that is F/4.0 at full zoom (still not good enough but better than the Canon), has a nightshot feature which I'd probably use quite a bit, but, uses memory stick.

So far all the cameras I've seen that have a F/2.0 or faster lens are larger than what I'm looking for (too big front to back which is the main measurement of concern), or I can't find high ISO test pics taken with them, as well as they usually don't have ISO 800 (except for the Sony F717 which is way too big).