Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2005, 3:42 AM   #1

Hello, and thanks for your help. I take photographs of very tiny insects such as ants. I wouldn't mind an digicam cause there are a few that can do amazing macro (coolpix 995), but am also considering something more complex with an attached macrolense. Please help me. I want to start a web catalog of the species in my area. Thank you!

Honestly, i love the coolpix 4500, should I pick one up on ebay, or is there a camera that can rival it as far as macro capabilities and ease are concerned (not a bad price, either).
bounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2005, 4:42 AM   #2

The upcoming Canon S2 apparently has a macro focus length of 0cm! Basically Canon claim that it will be able to focus on anything no matter how close you get to it, you can even have the lens touching it asuming the subject is backlit.

It's not out for a couple of months yet so only time will tell how good this is, but it seems that it could be quite a good camera. However it doesn't have a hotshoe so you won't be able to use Canon's Macro light ring.

If you are thinking of something more advanced than you may want to go down the DSLR route where you will be able to use macro flashes and interchange with purpose build macro lenses, but you will pay for the privilege, though this option would probably produce the best quality photo's if you a planning to use them for professional reasons. Maybe something from the Canon Rebel series?

Hope you will post some of you're images up here when you do start taking your photo's!
apnomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:49 AM   #3

fuji finepix s7000 has TWO macro focus settings and will go down to 1/2 centimeter
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:44 PM   #4

Some amazing macro photos can be found by my friend Alex Wild. An expert myrmecologist(the study of ants) and a heck of an amateur photographer.

www.myrmecos.net
Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:30 PM   #5
Administrator

bounty wrote:
Quote:
Hello, and thanks for your help. I take photographs of very tiny insects such as ants. I wouldn't mind an digicam cause there are a few that can do amazing macro (coolpix 995), but am also considering something more complex with an attached macrolense. Please help me. I want to start a web catalog of the species in my area. Thank you!

Honestly, i love the coolpix 4500, should I pick one up on ebay, or is there a camera that can rival it as far as macro capabilities and ease are concerned (not a bad price, either).

The Coolpix is tough to beat for macro, and especially handy is the swiveling lens/lcd sections when tripod mounted. Definitely want to use it on tripod whenever possible and use either self-timer or the MC-EU1 remote cord to prevent any camera shake when tripping the shutter. I have had (and still have)everyswiveling Coolpix model from the original 900 to the 4500 - the only one I don't have is the 995 because it looks too "pregnant" (fat) to me. They are great cameras - too bad Nikon decided to stop making the swivelers ...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:38 PM   #6

Yeah Steve, I'm very disappointed as well. If they had come out with a predecessor to the 4500, no doubt, that would be the camera I would buy.

Seems to me that the jump from a coolpix 4500 to a DSLR is very substantial. Add the size and weight factor for taking it along with me during hikes, and the differences between the two become even greater. I also like the macro light that you can buy for the 900-4500.

I got a coolpix 5400, and simply put, for macro, it was a major disappointment(returned it). The lack of a manual mode alone made it a horrible choice, but I learned the hardway.

Thank you for the heads up on the upcoming Canon S2. I have looked at several reviews, however, I have not been able to locate a decent price estimate. Will be interesting to test out nonetheless. I am being patient in this purchase. The project that I have planned out will require me to take numerous pictures and I will basically be married to my camera for a couple of months throughout the spring and summer months.

Thank you for your great responses. Keep them coming. There seems to be a growing trend in macrophotography.