Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2005, 6:03 PM   #1

I'm in the market to purchase a compact digital camera like a sony dscw-7 olympus 500 canon sd500 and would like the best regardless of price and manufacterer!Thanks!
kensr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:20 PM   #2

I personally think the Sony P200 is the best small camera right now. I don't have one, but if I were purchasing today it is what I would get.

It has a protective cover over the LCD so you can drop it in your pocket without as much worry about cracking it. I've done that once and consider it an important feature from a sadder but wiser point of view.
It is the only small camera that doesn't give red eye in most situations. The flash is offset from the lens more than most. Someone pointed out that that makes shadows in situations like taking someone's picture near a white wall. Most people prefer to not have the red eye.
It has no purple fringing and the distortions are very good for a pocket camera.
It has some manual exposure modes to grow into as well as some preset manual focus distances.
It has an excellent movie mode and fast shutter delay and cycle times.
It is a bargain in a 7Mp camera.

On the downside the flash isn't as strong as the SD500. The SD500 is exceptional in that regard for a tiny camera and the Sony isn't bad. I'm also not a fan of the Sony proprietary memory compared to SD, but if you are going to use it only for the camera, Memory Stick Pro isn't much pricier than a fast SD card.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:28 PM   #3

Which Oly 500 are you looking at? The Oly Stylus 500 or the D-595 (called the C500 in Europe? The D-595 is better. For a little more $ look at the metal body C-60. And try out the Oly C-7000. It's a feature packed compact with 7MP and 38-190 zoom.

Good luck with your decision.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 4:06 PM   #4

Slipe-

I am wondering what you think of the p150. Since you have an opinion about the 200, I thought you might know something about the 150. It's roughly $50 - $100 more and I can't figure out why.

Thanks-

Newmansmom

Newmansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:56 PM   #5

Thanks Guys I dont know why but, since yesterday I first seen the casio line and the exz-750 has really caught my attention This might just be the perfect camera condidering how slim and sleek it looks. Any one have one Please advise!!!
kensr05 is offline   Reply With Quote