Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2005, 6:34 PM   #1
RC

Hello all, Nice helpful site from what I've read through so far so hopefully you can help me

I'm getting a digital camera and I'm torn between buying a good compact and getting more used to the workings of a reasonably good digital camera for a year or two (multiple settings, not just a point/zoom and click), then buying a good SLR later, or just buying an SLR now and upgrading the lens as I go

I'm going on holidays to italy in a few weeks so hope to take lots of architectural and landscape photos which, if good enough, I will print in a4

I have made up a short list (I welcome recommended alternatives):

Olympus E-300 with EZ 14-45mm Zuiko Lens and another lens (cant remember mm in shop, 50-150 or something) 8MegaPix

Olympus C 8080, 8MP, 5x zoom

Canon EOS 350D Camera 18 - 55mm Lens , 8MP

Canon PowerShot Pro1, 8MP, 7.1x

Canon PowerShot G6, 7.1MP, 4x

one guy in shop said he didnt recommend the powershots above because they dont take great pictures for the price and can be poor in low light situations but not sure if he was just trying to sell me something else or what

I'm quite taken by the e-300 but as an amateur would I be able to take decent pictures quickly? if i got something like the 8080, would I be able to get an SLR in a couple of years better than the e-300 for cheaper price etc etc etc

thanks in advance

RC
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:13 PM   #2

Hi RC: How about a little more information? What is your photographic skill level? Are you an experienced 35mm photographer? Are you used to using a 35mm SLR? or is your background mainly inpoint & shoot? In other words, or we talking about just a transition from film to digital?; or learning photographic techniques as well as digital?

If you are an experienced photographer, then you could transition quickly to an E300 and understand which lens and technique to use in any situation. If you are a resonably advanced amateur, you will get suburb results with the C8080. In fact, many dslr owners also own a C8080 just for the lens quality. With either camera, you could just let the camera do all the work for you for the holiday, then learn about all the advance features after you are back from vacation.

But if you are going on your holiday to both learn photography basics, and learn digicam basics at the same time, then you would probablybe saferwith a smaller p&S.

So, if you are more advanced, I recommend the Olys. If you are more in the beginning enthusiatic learning stage, I would recommend smaller cameras like the smaller Fujifilm or Pentax models, or something like a Oly C7000 or C5500.

Remember, it's okay to get a smaller camera that is quicker to learn for your holiday; you can always buy a more advanced camera later and keep your small camera as a second camera. I currently own 4 digicams, and five35mm SLRs, and they all have their strengths and weakness depending on the photographic situation. (and I'm looking at adding a D-595 as a go anywhere pocket camera.)

Anyway, sorry to be so wordy. I'll be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. This forum has a lot of very knowledgable users, so you may get an overflow of good advice.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 4:54 AM   #3
RC

wordy is fine , I always take in a lot of info when I'm starting on a new project.

To answer your question, when it comes to SLR and proper photography, I'm more in the beginning enthusiatic learning stage butI've used a few SLR's (non digital) but not really with much knowledge of the real functionality. As an aside I'm big into anything that could be labelled a gadget or anything electronic and I learn fast

I can't find a C7000 or C5500 on amazon over here (ireland) so they may have different model numbers or something but I'll have a look in the shop

Digital Cameras are expensive over here and the differene in price of some of the good SLR-Type cameras to the e-300 isnt huge which is why I was considering it. (eg Olympus c-7070 is nearly $800, c8080$880, while the e-300 is $1120 with lens or$1300 with 2 lenses and an extra 128MB chip.

Thanks for the advice (even if I decide to ignore it:-))

Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:40 AM   #4

Hi RC: I'm curious: can you buy over the internet from a reputable USA dealer and save a significant amt of money? I wouldthink thateven with the extra shipping charges, with no sales tax and cheaper camera price, that you could save a significant amount of money on your camera purchase. Am I mistaken about that?

If you can buy international on the internet, check some of the old established dealers with good seller ratings. Try Beach Camera, Willoughbys, B&H, etc. and check shipping costs. Always check the seller ratings before you buy from anyone.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

Steven R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 1:18 PM   #5

Take my advice with a grain of salt. Since you said you've handled SLRs I'll assume you would know what you are getting into from a size/weight/ lense changing angle.

I am not a big fan of updating gear every year. I like to research my purchases and expect to use my cameras for 4 years or so. I used an S40 for 4 years before upgrading to a DSLR. In my mind I can't see spending $600 USD on a camera if I know it's only a 1 year thing. I just don't like the idea of throwing that money away like that. But that's me. IF you go the DSLR route, the camera can still operate in full auto mode so you don't have to be comfortable with working with f-stops and shutter speeds etc... What you will give up initially is lense performance. You won't likely have the same 'coverage' of focal length you would from a digicam. If you were completely new to photography and just wanted a digital camera than the advice of 'buy a $200 digicam you can upgrade later' would be very good advice. But, if you feel you will outgrow a digicam in a year and want a DSLR I say bite the bullet and get the DSLR now - as long as you can live with the limited lense until you can afford more lenses. If all you really want is to have Av, Tv and M modes and you don't think you will outgrow the lense of the digicam or need higher ISO performance in the next year or two then the digicam is the right route to go.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:49 AM   #6
RC

It was only after my last post I thought about getting a shipment from the states. There may be no vat but they charge import duty here so if the price difference with shipping and duty meant only a limited saving I'd rather just buy it here and have a shop to deal with if anything goes wrong

Anyway, I've pretty much decided on a DSLR, e300/300D/350D

I just feel I'd grow out of a compact/slr-type camera too quick. My brother is a very good, but out of practice, photographer so I'll be getting some training from him.

He's not great for advice on which camera in my price range because his budget, when he recently bought a very high end DSLR, is a lot higher than mine

Edit: Just checked amazon and they won's ship cameras outside US
Old Apr 28, 2005, 4:17 AM   #7

i just got a 300d with the 18-55mm lens. Im really happy with it, takes great shots. its much better value than the E300, 350d if you can pick it up cheap.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 6:22 AM   #8
RC

Thanks everyone, I was getting info from a number of sources and I'll probably end up going with the Nikon D70 instead based on some recent recommendations. Not a big price difference between Ireland and the US either (maybe with the D70s coming out, but that doesnt bother me)

the more compatible body for non-Nikon lenses was a big factor looking down the road