Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:12 PM   #1

I love the feel of the Canon 350D/Rebel XT, and except for the "problems" with the 18-55, it sounds like a bargain. So... I can't deside if I should go buy the Canon, or wait for the Nikon D50. The price should be about the same in my country, when the D50 comes out. Any ideas as to if it's worth the wait ? The difference in MP is not my greatest concern at all

Thanx
digint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:32 PM   #2

Digint,

Depends if you already own Canon or Nikon lenses.

The Nikon has a flash synchronization up to 1/500th, which beats out the XT's 1/250th, which would matter to you if your into sports photography.

The XT is a higher resolution camera (8 meg) versus the D50's 6 meg.

Highest ISO setting for both the XT and D50 is 1600 (The 20D has ISO 3200 which is better).

Maybe wait to see Steve's Digicams review of the D50. The XT already has a stellar rating.

--Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:51 PM   #3
KSV

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
The XT already has a stellar rating.
Yea... stellar rating..... against 300D, but there are other cameras around. DPR user rating -

300D - 4.44

350D - 4.57

D70 - 4.64

20D - 4.65

*istD - 4.68

*istDS - 4.77

Cheers from happy *istDS shooter :|
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:04 PM   #4

lol!

That was funny!

Actually, I question the user ratings, if they could rate a Nikon D70 up there with a 20D.

Nothing wrong with the *ist.

Are you having any luck getting a good deal on used lenses for the Pentax.

As for the Canon, the market is dry dry dry. Nobody is selling used lenses at a good deal for the Canons.

-- Terry
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:21 PM   #5
KSV

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
lol!

That was funny!

Actually, I question the user ratings, if they could rate a Nikon D70 up there with a 20D.

Nothing wrong with the *ist.

Are you having any luck getting a good deal on used lenses for the Pentax.

As for the Canon, the market is dry dry dry. Nobody is selling used lenses at a good deal for the Canons.

-- Terry
Well, I do not believe that those result are "absolute". They rather show customer satisfactionversus their expectation IMHO :-) . Personally I would rate 20D much higher. This resultsshow me that satisfaction from 350D not as good - it look much better on the paper than in real life, and I think it is true.

Yes, I get some good manual Pentax primes for as little as $10 - LOL. Used AF primes VERY difficult to findat bargain price - they are too bloody good to sell.I am not big zoom fan, so can not tell to you story about zoom market.

Cheers
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:25 PM   #6
Super Moderator

digint,

if you are new to the game and do not own lenses.. i would suggest the rebel xt over any offerings from nikon.. from all i have read, the image quality and low noise are pretty akin to the 20d (which is wonderful, i have one).. as others have mentioned, for approximately the same price you are getting higher resolution, lower noise, arguably better AF, and dof preview (this is no go for the d50).. others may argue the 2 extra mp is negligable, but i would argue if you are using RAW and doing some cropping and then enlarging, it is helpful (i can tell you from experience)..

with all that said, if you own nikon (or pentax) lenses.. you will be more than happy with their respective offerings :-)

enjoy, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 4:18 AM   #7

Thank you all

I recently just sold my Canon G5, because it produced a lot of vignetting, which is one of my upmost enemies

Anyway... I don''t own any lenses, and must admit that the 350D sounds very attractive to me. I have read somewhere that the lens was somewhat of a disappointment (the 18-55), but that there should be an edition2 of it on the way. So that's another dilemma tothe case... do I wait for the kit with the newer lens, or for the D50-review ?!

As for the D70, and *istD, they are out of my budget, as will the D70s probably be. So the only relavent ones for me, is the 350D and the D50.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 5:29 AM   #8

You can probably buy the 350XT without the kit lens.

You could look at the Canon 50mm F/1.8 lens as your first lens while you're thinking about what other lenses you might need.

The F/1.8 is only $80 us dollars and is a pretty good lens.

B.T.W., I've seen some results from the kit lens on a Digital Rebel, and the results didn't look that bad to me.

-- Terry
Old Apr 28, 2005, 5:37 AM   #9

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
You can probably buy the 350XT without the kit lens.

You could look at the Canon 50mm F/1.8 lens as your first lens while you're thinking about what other lenses you might need.

The F/1.8 is only $80 us dollars and is a pretty good lens.
That's actually a pretty good idea Especially since that lens is available in edition2 But then again... as you said... the publiced results with the 18-55 doesn't look bad at all. I think i'll have to test it
Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:26 PM   #10
Super Moderator

all i have read and what limited time i spent using the 18-55 canon suggests it is not a bad lens at all.. its actually a screaming good bargain at only 100 dollars more for the kit..

then add the aforementioned 50 1.8 for 70-80 bucks, and you got yourself a couple nice lenses for not a lot of dough... from there you will have a good feel for what your future lens needs are..

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote