Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2005, 3:44 PM   #11

I purchased a Panasonic FZ3 mid Dec '04 and I have had a blast with it. The big zoom, fast operation, and ease of use is a delightful aspect of utilization. The Pic quality is superb although my opinion with non-professional critique.
My recommendation is to review the quality summary on several sites pertaining to the FZ5. It demonstrates the leadership Panasonic has in the 'super zoom' category. Canon has recently announced their S2 which will compete but I feel the panasonic will still lead in pic quality overall. The review of the FZ5 at megapixel.com gives it a rating of 9.6 out of 10 in the pic quality.
Yes I am speaking with a bias toward panasonic because it has demonstrated to me its tremendous versatility in most shooting situations. The users forums have been almost totally in agreement about quailty in build, reliability, pic quality, and responsive perfomance. Check out the user forum on this site as well as DPREVIEW.
Good luck in your research and decision.
Rick~
KingsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 3:50 PM   #12

Please pardon the extra post but I meant to add that the FZ5 has a simple mode for beginners which makes it almost foolproof for novice users like my wife. I recently purchased a canon A510 because of its compact size hoping she would leave my Panny alone. It is a tiny wonder for the price.
Rick~
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:30 PM   #13

Sorry, but I just finished reading four independent, professional reviews of the FZ5, and none of them mentioned the leadership Panasonic has in the 'super zoom' category. As a matter of fact, three of the four reviews complained about the poor video resolution, two complained about focus problems, and all four were disappointed in the overall picture quality. One of the comments that surprised me was that one of the reviewers determined that the IS feature did not work effectively in low light situations. To me, that is the main reason for wanting IS.

I wonder how megapixel.net came up with such high marks?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 1:02 AM   #14

After watching a few video's I do see why IS is needed. No drinking coffee if you dont have it. Well I have so many options now. I do like the 10x - 12x optical zoom, but I wonder if I really need it. I like the fact If I do need it then I have it. I guess Ill start reviewing all of the info/cameras you all have given me. I take it 4-5MP is all that I really need nothing more? Unless I decide to do a billboard. I wont ever go higher than an 8x10 photo. I actually wonder if I will even need the movie record part. well im off to reseach.
Subnet76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 2:02 AM   #15

Please take a look at this link on the FZ5
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/page11.asp
Old May 2, 2005, 12:22 AM   #16

KingsX wrote:
Quote:
Please take a look at this link on the FZ5
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/page11.asp
Seems like a nice camera, what do the rest of you think? Should I be concerned about the long distance auto focus?
Old May 2, 2005, 4:53 AM   #17

A more objective review?

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...ra-Review-.htm

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 11:27 PM   #18

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
In order to stay within your proposed budget, also consider accessories for your camera, such as additional memory cards, additional batteries, a battery charger, a case, lenses, etc.

I recently purchased a Fuji S5100, which I would recommend highly. I was able to purchase the camera, two 256 MB xD cards, a case, and a UV filter for less than $350 (I already had a good supply of NiMH batteries and chargers from other electronic gizmos).

Good luck in your search. Let us know what you decide.

the Hun
I have a question about this camera. First, how good is the battery life. Second, Lenses what kind of lenses would i need? I know I would like a wide angle lens for sports games. And third. UV filter? what is this used for. Thanks Hun.
Old May 3, 2005, 12:45 AM   #19

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...5100z&show=all
What do you all think of this camera compared to the fuji? I do like that it does have IS. These are probably my final choice's Sorry for a double post.
Old May 3, 2005, 1:25 AM   #20

This is a link to some FZ5 pics taken lowlight indoors.
Link borowed from Panasonic forum on dpreview.com. Again, I would suggest you read user experience both novice and enthusiast. pbase.com gives you an example choice of most cameras, most situations, in most conditions. Just click on camera base and choose whatever brand and model you wish to see. My final suggestion is to choose any model of long zoom you wish but consider strongly the benefit of stablization. Ask that question in another thread and weigh the comments that you receive. Steve has examples of this on this site and can show you the results with and without. It is suggested not to use tele in lowlight or only minimaly to avoid blurred effects.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/digital...s/294717/show/
Rick~