Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 3, 2005, 5:02 AM   #21

Subnet76,

The answer(s) to your first post are: The battery life on the S5100 is outstanding. I recently took mine on a week long business trip, and took over 200 pics, played them back numerous times, uploaded them into a couple different computers, uploaded the pics into my computer at home, erased the pics from my camera, took about 30 more pics at home, and still haven't seen the low battery indicator. I guess I can probably take around 350 shots on a single charge (using Nexcell 2400 mAH NiMH's). I always bring another fully charged set, just in case. The S5100 lens goes from 37 mm to 370 mm, so I don't think you would need a wide angle lens for sports pics (37 mm is already wide angle). The UV filter is used to prtotect the lens. It's not mandatory, and I only put it on the camera if I'm going to be using it in dusty or damp conditions. They cost about $15. I'll have to answer your second post later.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 12:33 PM   #22

Now for part II,

The S1 IS seems like a real nice camera, with a lot of similar features to the S5100, such as 10x zoom and using AA batteries. The Canon has IS, which the S5100 does not. If that was the only difference, and everything else was identical, the Canon would seem the better choice. I'm sure they both take great pictures. IS doesn't guarantee perfect pictures, but it can help in some situations. The Canon does not have an AF assist lamp, which I didn't even know existed until after I started using my S5100, and this green light kept on coming on when shooting in a darkend room. It is very usefull feature when using autofocus in low light situations. The S1 IS is only a 3 MP camera, vs. 4 MP for the S5100. That may not be a huge difference, but I think it is more apparent than the difference between a 4 and a 5 MP. The S1 IS is a little heavier than the S5100, but I don't know at what point that becomes an issue. Right now, there is a rebate on the S5100, and you can probably pick one up for around $240. A lot of camera for that amount of money.

Before you buy, go to a store which has both models on display. Pick them up...play with them. How do they feel in your hand? If the camera doesn't feel right in your hand, you might not enjoy using it

Good luck.

the Hun
Old May 5, 2005, 2:31 AM   #23

I just read the review on digitalcamerainfo. And the review wasnt what I was expecting on the S5100. But after reading about a few others it seems like you give and take on certain features. And with the price of the S5100, it doesnt seem lke I can go wrong. The FZ5 Is also a nice camera but its near twice as much. Along with a few other camera's I have looked at. Seems like im starting to read into this much more than i need to. Im going to take a look at a local camera store and just play with them for a while and see what i think. Ill keep you posted on what i decide.
Subnet76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 11:07 PM   #24

Well I went and looked at the Fuji S5100, and the Canon powershot S1, Both are very nice. But after playing around with them both, the Cannon seemed to be a little smaller and just a little lighter. Now The Fuji was just a little bit bigger but I think for the better. I dont have small hands by any means. So feel of the fuji was much better. I also looked at a few more expensive cameras also but at a price of about $900 that was out of my leage. So Im pretty sure im going to go with the Fuji. I know it dont have the IS feature. But more of my pictures will be here at home. I guess Im going to buy a complete package with the len's, tripod, ect. Since im under my budget. So now I just need to find where to buy it from. Thanks for all of your help!! Who knows what I would of bought if it wasnt for all of you.:bye:
Subnet76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 8:53 AM   #25

Good luck with your new camera - I hope you like it as much as I like mine. Here is a link to a couple of nice cases you might want to consider:

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...97&forum_id=16

the Hun