Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 28, 2005, 1:39 AM   #1

Hello, well I have gone through a lot of posts but, Im going to ask. What camera would best fit my need?
Im not a professional, but I am the one the family comes to, to figure out anything electronic/digital.
Now I am a Novice, I have never even taken classes. But I am a very fast learner and good with electronics.

I want a great Optical zoom, for ballgames, car races, ect.
I will take a lot of pictures inside, (just had a baby boy)
I have most of my pictures printed from my printer at home, (I dont know if this helps.)
My budget is no more than $600, but less would be better.
As for video it dont matter, would be nice but not necessary.
I would like to be able to recharge my own batteries, unless there are batteries that last a long time unlike my camera now.
I like the LCD screen, but again not necessary.

I love taking photo's and I want them to look good. If there is anything else I need to consider, please give me a crash course or send me a link.
Now I also need this camera to be "Wife freindly". ( she needs to be able to at least take pictures ) Plus Mothers day is comming up, it will be a present for both of us.

My current camera is a 2.1MP Olympus Camedia C-21 It is getting old and it takes like 8 seconds before i can take another picture after one another. So Speed is something I really would like to have. Anyway I hope this is enough info to get me headed in the right direction. Thank you all very much!
Subnet76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2005, 1:57 PM   #2

any input?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:26 PM   #3

A couple of suggestions: Go to the "Best Cameras" section of this website and scroll down to the "Super Zoom" list. Check out some of those. I've had experience with the Olympus and love it, but this list will give you others to look at as well.

Also take a look at http://www.photoxels.com/digital-camera-reviews.html. These reviews aren't the most in-depth and technical in the world, but sometimes that's not a bad thing. They might help to narrow your search. They claim to review the best digital cameras.

Good luck!

Alisande
Alisande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:35 AM   #4

Take a look at the reviews for the Fujifilm S5100/S5500.

You won't be disapointed in photo quality or options. You can spend $600+ and still not get the quality of this sub-$300 camera.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 8:17 AM   #5

Check out the Kodak DX7590. I have one and love it. 10X optical zoom

P.S. My wife can even use it. lol (when she can pry it out of my hands)
cwodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:12 AM   #6

Thank you all for your help!!
Old Apr 30, 2005, 3:57 AM   #7

What do I need to look at to see how fast I can take the next picture? :?:
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:14 AM   #8

Subnet,

The minimum time between pictures can vary quite a bit, depending on the type of pictures you are taking, and the resolution setting. For example, if you are taking pictures at the maximum resolution, with flash, the time between pictures will be the greatest (time to write to memory, time for flash to recharge). Minimum resolution without flash would be the quickest between shots. I don't know why one would want to purchase a 4 or 5 MP camera and shoot at a 1 MP resolution, so I wouldn't look at the cycle times for minimum resolution at all. Look at shutter lag (full autofocus), shutter lag (prefocus), and cycle times for the cameras you are considering. The shutter lag and cycle time info for the two cameras recommended in this thread may be found here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...0/DX75DATA.HTM

Note: read what happens (cycle times) after the first two shots.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S5100/S51DATA.HTM

In order to stay within your proposed budget, also consider accessories for your camera, such as additional memory cards, additional batteries, a battery charger, a case, lenses, etc.

I recently purchased a Fuji S5100, which I would recommend highly. I was able to purchase the camera, two 256 MB xD cards, a case, and a UV filter for less than $350 (I already had a good supply of NiMH batteries and chargers from other electronic gizmos).

Good luck in your search. Let us know what you decide.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:14 PM   #9

I would tend to suggest a camera such as the Canon G6 because of its fast lens at wide angle(F2.0), its has great image quality and you can use an external flash so your indoors picture can really look great.

Besides that, I own the Canon A95 which is also a great camera(tho no external flash) and its something like 2 notch below the G6 in terms of quality and everything. Anyway, here'smy photo gallery of the A95: http://nicolas7894.fotopic.net/c341553.html
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 2:37 PM   #10

To add to your confusion, let me suggest you look at ultrazooms with image stabilization as well, such as the Panasonic FZ series, the Konica/Minolta Dimage Z3 and Z5, as well as the Canon S1 IS.

I believe that the KM and Canon both use AA's, while the Panasonics use their own proprietary batteries--don't worry, though, battery life is rather good.

If you're taking pictures mostly in good light, then IS is a luxury you can afford forgoing, but in less than perfect light (and you'll need that for long-zoom pictures without a tripod), it's quite useful.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote