Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2005, 6:17 PM   #11

With my Panasonic FZ10 and a TCon-14, I shot handheld and filled the frame with Howard Dean's face from halfway back in the hall in Des Moines.

The pictures came out great and I ran one of them on the front.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 8:35 AM   #12

I recommend the FZ20. Its IS gives me the option of lower shutter speeds at night and low light shots. Also it makes a hell of a difference when using the zoom, granted you aren't going to be at full zoom all the time, but when you buy a long zoom camera...you are going to love the zoom. Sometimes i use the 12X in the FZ and wish I had more...hehe...the IS makes a huge difference.

The FZ20 can be had for around $500...and the older FZ10 can be had for around $300 if you don't mind a 4MP and no hot shoe for flash.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 2:39 PM   #13

I'm actually looking and I think leaning toward the FZ5. At first I wanted the FZ20 but that camera is to big and bulky.

I was also looking at the FZ3 but that camera is only 3.1MP. The only draw back there are for those rare occasions where I want to print pics bigger then 4x6. From what I read (and correct me if I'm wrong), you need at least 4MP and up for the 5x7 pics.

Jedi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 6:39 PM   #14

Jedi5 wrote:
Quote:
I'm actually looking and I think leaning toward the FZ5. At first I wanted the FZ20 but that camera is to big and bulky.

I was also looking at the FZ3 but that camera is only 3.1MP. The only draw back there are for those rare occasions where I want to print pics bigger then 4x6. From what I read (and correct me if I'm wrong), you need at least 4MP and up for the 5x7 pics.
Well, let me go ahead and correct you then :-) 3MP is perfectly adequate for 5x7, and most people can get fine 8x10 from 3MP. Only for more than 8x10 would you need to go beyond 3MP (or unless you crop a lot from the pictures).
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 7:28 PM   #15

I have a Panasonic FZ-20 and I can tell you for certain that on this cameraIS makes a huge difference. If I turn IS off and take a 12x shot, holding my hand as steady as possible, and compare that to the same shot with IS on (I use Mode 2 ISprimarily) the difference is clearly visible. I haven't tried this with lower zoom settings but at 12x the difference is huge. </ My $.02>
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:00 PM   #16

Hi: I am somewhat puzzled at some of the replies. It sounds like you can't take a good zoom photo without I.S.

Maybe because I have used 35mm SLRs for many years, (before adding digicams to my equipment), that I have a hard time accepting that as a truism. How did I manage to get those shots without IS?

Yes, talk to the owners, of which I am one. I currently ownfour digicams andfive 35mm SLRs, and I still enjoy shooting with my old UZI at 10x. But if a person has a hard time with a C740, (quote"...the image isall over the place.."), then they definitely need an IS camera.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not knocking IS, I'm just saying it's oneof manythingsto consider when deciding on a camera, and it should not be the most important feature to you.

I'm attaching a hand-held shot taken at full zoom withmy UZI. I've reduced it down to only 109KB from the original; so I hopesome of the quality comes through.

Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:58 PM   #17

I like IS because I'm not exactly too steady. But I have taken good pics without it.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 10:00 PM   #18

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Hi: I am somewhat puzzled at some of the replies. It sounds like you can't take a good zoom photo without I.S.

I'm somewhat puzzled by your reply. I went back over the postings, and nowhere did I read that anyone said that you can't take a good zoom photo w/o IS. What I did read were posts that state in different ways that IS can help. Your argument that IS is not always needed is quite valid (as I and many others have stated here in the past), but as no onein this threadever said something to the effect that IS is essential, you are arguing a moot point.

Nice shot, by the way....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 6:11 AM   #19
stk

Hi

I use a K-MA200. This is my first camera with IS (or AS as K-M call it) and I would not go back.

Though I do use it for tele shots, I find the real benefit is being able to take almost anything (stationary) at reasonable light levels at 50 or 100ASA without the need for flash. I can shoot hand held down to 1/10th with AS quite easily.Even night shots.
Though the K-M still has pretty good noise at 400, shooting at 50 or 100 really keeps the noise out.

So for me, the benefit is being able to do much more of day to day shots at low ASA.

Hope this helps

Steve
stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 6:45 AM   #20

If we take IS to the extreme and it is a bit extreme. We add on a 35mm slr lens for macro at higher ratios. Now if we switch IS to off, I can't see a darn thing except for blur's.

Switch IS on and all is well again. So we have a fly

I would imagine the same would be true for telescope use as well. I pick only cameras that have a min of 10x optical and it must have IS. Otherwise for me, it might as well be a brick.

It comes down to what you need and want. Many photographers love a tripod, I can't work fast enough with a tripod, so IS becomesour best friend.

If you want more flies, well I've just set up a new page I'm trying out. All with IS.......and yep, just crazy flies :-)

http://macropho.station178.com/fly/fly.html

So thats the extreme end of IS and yep, it works. Can't live without it.

Danny.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote