Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:43 AM   #1

Hi everyone. Have another question for the group...

As some of you know, I'm looking for a new digital camera that has at least a 8x zoom and up. So I'm doing my research and I've noticed that there was some super zoom cameras getting positive reviews although they do no have IS.

So my question is, how important is IS on a super zoom camera? The Kodak Z740, OLY C765, and Oly C770 all have a good zoom, gotten good reviews, but no IS.

Can someone please help explain this to me?

Thanks
Jedi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:37 AM   #2

I find IS is very helpful at any zoom range above 3x.It won't work perfect every time,you must hold camera fairly steady at long zoom .It can also be helpful in low light.I don't know which cameras offer IS but you can check Steves review for good info
gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:40 AM   #3

If you can go to your local store and try cameras with IS vs one without the IS, you will find out very fast that IS does help a lot at high zoom settings. I have old panasonic FZ1 with 12x zoom. With IS, I can shoot birds at 680mm by having a 1.7x teleconverter and all this when hand held. If you going to be using tripod all the time, then IS wouldn't help much for p&s. Now I use 10D and 100-400L IS. With IS, I can shoot hand held at 1/125 while at 400mm. With bigger glass like canon's 500/600mm, you need IS even when on tripod as IS negates the effects of vibration when on the tripod.

IS would not help you to freeze your subjects motion.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:42 AM   #4

Thanks Gordy.

So while IS does help out, are you saying it's really not needed?

I guess for me being a newbie and really not knowing that much about dig cameras, I was under the impression that IS was really important when it came to super zoom cameras. But like I said, I'm reading reviews now on cameras with this zoom I want, no IS and they are still getting reviews. Maybe I should look into these cameras then. It'll save me some $$.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:46 AM   #5

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
If you can go to your local store and try cameras with IS vs one without the IS, you will find out very fast that IS does help a lot at high zoom settings.
Then how are these cameras still getting good reviews? Can you buy a 10x zoom camera without IS and have work fine for everyday point and shoot?

Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:17 PM   #6

I will make my thought on IS a little more clear that after useing long zooms for over thirty years I am amazed at how well it works but you still need a steady hand
gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:31 PM   #7

Hi Jedi5: How often are you going to be shooting birds handheldat very high telephoto limits? Then an IS system will definitely help. But for everyday shots, it's not a problem, and that's why the non-IS cameras still get good reviews and take great photos.

I have owned a 10x Oly UZ for several years, and it has served me well. I throw it in my briefcase on my business travels; I have literally used it from coast to coast. True, you have to be careful under certain conditions in low light situations, i.e. slow pressure on the shutter, increase the ASO speed, brace the camera against a tree or pole, etc. But for normal, daylight shots, I have had no problems at full zoom. And indoors with flash, the 10x is great for close-ups of children or pets without getting in their faces.

So you have to evaluate your expected photo use and situations. It's like choosing an automobile with stick shift or automatic transmission. If you do get a big zoom without IS, you have to learn good camera holding technique for some shots. Or, like a car with automatic transmission, get an IS and let a camera do part of the work.

Good luck,

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:37 PM   #8

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jedi5: How often are you going to be shooting birds handheldat very high telephoto limits? Then an IS system will definitely help. But for everyday shots, it's not a problem, and that's why the non-IS cameras still get good reviews and take great photos.

Good luck,

Steven R.

Well no birds but does my hot neighbor across the street count?:lol:

Awesome, that explanation really helped me out a lot. My pics are mostly going to be everyday family point and shoot. So I guess If I go with the the Oly Uzis or the Kodak Z740, I'll be ok. Thanks again Steven!
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:05 PM   #9

Is it a matter of cost? If not I would recommend getting a camera with IS.

Recently I purchased a Panasonic FZ15 which has IS, takes movies and has a 12Xzoom. I love the camera except it does not have sound on the movies, I would have had to purchase the FZ20 for a few extra bucks in order to get sound.

My point being, don't skimp, its something you will be using for a long time, don't be thinking after you buy it "I should've".

peggysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 4:34 PM   #10

Jedi5 wrote:
Quote:
bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
If you can go to your local store and try cameras with IS vs one without the IS, you will find out very fast that IS does help a lot at high zoom settings.
Then how are these cameras still getting good reviews? Can you buy a 10x zoom camera without IS and have work fine for everyday point and shoot?
I have never read a bad review of anything. Talk to the real people who use the camera in & out every day and you will find what issue it has.

If you can find a camera with IS and big zoom in same price range as a non-IS one, I would recommend getting the one with the IS. Simple fact is you need to hold your camera shuuter speed at 1/focal length, so at 400mm, you need speeds of 1/500 or faster. With IS, you can go much lower. Unlike a dSLR, you can not crank up the ISO to get higher shutter speeds without getting too much noise.

I have tried olympus 740 (I guess) of my friend and find that at 10X the image is all over the place. With panasonic, I could get rock steady images at close to 700mm, hand held.

So it depends on how many of your shots going to be at high zoom and if you can use tripod or not.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote