Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:00 PM   #1

I am not new to digital photography, my first camera was a Fuji Finepix S304, an excellent camera with great results. I used this camera for one year, until the 100 ISO became too limited. When the Fuji Finepix S5000 hit the market I thought my wishes had been asnwered and purchased one on the strength of the S304's results. I wasn't that impressed with it to be honest. I am about to purchase another camera and I'm looking at either a Finepix S7000 or a Minolta DIMAGE7HI. Not wishing to make a mistake I would like a second opinion if at all possible. The reason I'm looking at the Minolta DIMAGE7HI is that I can purchase this one for around £290 new.:?
ukwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 1:49 PM   #2

Hi There
Ive had a S7000 Fuji now for the past year and what a camera it is. Earlier in my life I had been a wedding photographer for a local studio, and I used medium format Mamiya's (C330 Pro)so my expectations are very high. But having this in mind I feel that the Fuji S7000 will take some beating. If I had a complaint about this camera overall I would have to say that Fuji forgot to think about the add-on flash units, they dont have a dedicated external flash unit and they dont recommend
one on there web site. For such a good camera overall its a shame. But having said all of this other people say that you can use any manual type flash unit? In fact I'm in the process of getting one off the net.

I hope you make the right choice..

Kevin
m0bjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 2:04 PM   #3

Hi, Thanks for the advice.

The finepix S7000 is my foremost choice, but my main concern is the speed of the auto focus. I take photographs for a local branch of the UK Pony Club and, as you can imagine with fast moving equines, shot to shot time has to be quick. My S5000 struggles in this department. Please take a look at the type of photos the new camerawillhaveto cope with: http://www.berwynanddee.co.uk/gallery2/main.php

All these images were taken with my S5000. I am leaning toward the S7000 because it is current and, of course, I own a host of XD cards. Thank you very much indeed for your valuable comments.
ukwild is offline   Reply With Quote