Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 29, 2005, 3:12 PM   #1

My Fuji FinePix 4700 finally gave out on me.

I'm looking for a new digital camera. I primarily use my camera while hiking and camping, but I use it for other things as well. I'm no enthusiast, but I do like nice quality pictures. I would also like a camera that will hold up to the kind of use it will get put to (again, hiking and camping).

I was looking at ultra-compacts, particularly the Casio exilim Z55, but I found out that any button on the camera will turn it on and extend the lens, which is a quick way for me to break it. That was really in my price range, though.

I was also looking at the Minolta Dimage X50, but I'm concerned about the graininess of the pictures, as Overzeetop has pointed out.

I don't have to have an ultra compact, but I like being able to carry it around easily. Something smaller than my 4700 is a necessity, but I could be convinced to go bigger.

I also would like a rechargeable battery in it. I'm sick of using AA batteries, and having to change them all the time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Todd
JesterPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 3:51 PM   #2

If you like the Z55 you might consider the Pentax S5i. It has the same Pentax lens and sensor and is smaller. The LCD isn't as large, but it doesn't get switched on as easily. It is also a bit cheaper. IMO it is a better camera than the X50.

The Olympus Stylus 500 is a little larger but weather resistant with lots of rubber gaskets. It is in the same price range as the Z55. It has the large LCD in a small body. The weatherproofing might be a good feature for hiking and camping.

My favorite of the current small cameras is the Sony P200. It has manual exposure controls and is very fast.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 3:54 PM   #3

Oh, that reminds me. I'm trying to stay away from Sony. I'm not a big fan of their proprietary "memory stick."

It doesn't mean I absolutely won't consider them, but there are others I'd rather buy from.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 4:14 PM   #4

I would probably have bought a P200 by now if they had SD or CF memory like I already have. It isn't a big deal unless you want to use thememory in multiple devices. Prices on Memory Stick Pro have come down quite a bit. I think the xD on the Oly is just as proprietary as it will likely be used in nothing but Oly and Fuji equipment.

But you currently have SM, which isn't compatible with anything. Unless you plan on using the memory in multiple devices I don't see where it is a big deal. High speed SD isn't much cheaper than Memory Stick Pro.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:09 PM   #5

Were I in your shoes, I would go with one of the Pentax water-resistant cameras. The WR series have no protruding lens or separate lens cover, and are so water resistant that they can survive total immersion.

If you get a camera that uses AA's, then just get a set or two of rechargeable AA's. No matter what battery type you get, you will still need to get rechargeables, and rechargeable AA's are both cheaper and easier to find. Fortunately for you, the Pentax WR's use AA's....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 9:19 PM   #6

I have NiMH rechargeables in my Fuji and I'm tired of habving to take them out to recharge them in a separate charger. I'd rather have a camera I can just plug in and have it recharge itself.

Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:58 PM   #7

I get nice pictures out of my 3 megapixel Kyocera SL300R. There is now a 4 megapixel model of the same camera.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 9:46 AM   #8

For speed, versitility and fun take look at the panasonic fz5. A 12x Leica designed lens and image stabilization make a strong combination in a compact package for hiking. The street price is now about $400 shipped.
eb1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 10:42 AM   #9

eb1888 wrote:
Quote:
For speed, versitility and fun take look at the panasonic fz5. A 12x Leica designed lens and image stabilization make a strong combination in a compact package for hiking. The street price is now about $400 shipped.
I haven't seen it anywhere for a price that low... where have you found it for that?