Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 29, 2005, 8:07 PM   #1

I purchased a Powershot G6 a week or so ago...and while it is a great camera and I liked it right off the bat, I've decided to jump to a DSLR. I missed not having a bevy of lenses and other accessories to use and I really, really missed ISO speeds above 400. So, I sold my G6 to my brother. Now, I am deciding between the Canon Rebel and the Rebel XT. I looked at other brands, and I just feel the Canon's are the best fit for me. I know the technical differences between the two models: megapixels, DIGICI vs. II, USB 2, more FPS with XT, etc...

Thethings I like mostabout the XT over the original rebelare the lighter weight, faster operationsand the improved kit lense. The USB 2 doesn't matter to me, I use a stand-alone card reader, anyway. I don't have the cash right now to go out and buy more lenses (probably won't get to purchasingnew lenses until this fall), so I want to make sure the one that comes with it is pretty decent (is that enough in-and-of-itself to go with the XT?).

Does anyone who has experience with both have an opinion. Is it really worth the $200 more for the XT? I need to have the camera in my hands by mid-May, so I need to make this final decision pretty soon. Hopefully this will end my camera buying journey for the next 3-4 years.

Thanks for you input.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2005, 7:26 AM   #2

Two words: Get it! The Rebel XT, that is. I just bought it about a month ago and I will never look back to sub parfixed lens digital cameras again. This camera is awesome! I now shoot in only one mode, and that's RAW. It's amazing how RAW files can look. No comparison. Not to mention, having an 8 megapixel sensor does help, too. This new Rebel XT is definitely better than the original Digital Rebel model. GET IT! GET IT!
bradenmikael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 7:54 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Indeed, I did pick up a Rebel XT about a week ago. I really love it. I'm shopping for a 70-200 or 70-300 lense right now, cause 55 just isn't cutting it for me.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote