Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 29, 2005, 8:22 PM   #1

Hi,

I finally decided to switch from my Canon a75 because I was completely dissatisfied with the quality of the indoor pictures. From what I have read so far, many Canons introduce a lot of noise in low light.

So here we go again, which camera should I buy :??I am looking for a camera that takes good pictures indoor. Also looking for at least 6x zoom with image stabilizer. I am ok with 3 MP range. The price should not exceed 350 US$. I was looking at S1 IS; however, I read that it also doesn't produce good images in low light environement.

Any ideas :idea:?

ANY opinion is highly appreciated.
djredhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 9:52 PM   #2

If you want decent indoor pictures, you should think about a camera that you can attach an external flash.

Get an external flash where you can swivel the head, and "bounce" the flash off the ceiling. Then you will get really nice well-list scene, like a magazine photo.

Another idea is you need a really wide angle lens for indoors.Usually you can't stand too far back from a shot (there's usually a wall behind you), so a wide angle lens will give you more options to get the whole scene into a picture.

As for specific recommendations, I don't know. Just look for a cam with a hotshoe and a wide angle lens. I wouldn't be too worried about IS.

If you had more cash to spend, you could look at a digital rebel, then get a wide angle zoom. And get an external flash like a Sunpak 383 super.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice Terry!

However, I don't think I am that "pro" in shooting, andI don't needperfect pictures;I'd like something muchbetter than Canon's indoors though.

As for the IS, I want it because I am going in a trip back to Europe, so I want to be able to shoot at 6+ zoom.

Hope this clears it out.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:46 AM   #4

How about the Konica Minolta Dimage A200? It's not cheap, maybe about $550 online, but it has wide angle, image stabilization, 8 megapixels, 7X optical zoom, and a bunch of other features that you could enjoy for a couple of years.

Go here for pricing:

http://www.dealtime.com/xCP-Konica_M...T-1~VK-3012400

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:30 PM   #5

Thanks robbo,

I am conviced that A200 is a great camera, but it's over my budget. Genreally, I am looking for something cheaper even if it is not as good as A200class. All I want is decent (not perfect, but visibly better than A75) picture quality with decent zoom (because of the highzoom, I'd like IS).

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.
Old May 1, 2005, 3:54 AM   #6

Maybe it's still more than you want to pay, but I would consider the Fuji Finepix S5100. No stabilizer, but 10X optical zoom, and pretty good low light pictures. Less than $300 online including shipping.There's a 50 buck rebate on it now.One bad point for some is the xD memory cards required, but I don't mind. Check the reviews for it.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 6:18 AM   #7

Robbo,

Yah, the S5100 is a great camera.

Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 10:49 AM   #8

Hi: I agree with Robbo. The Fuji S5100 is an excellent camera and would be a good selection for you. I don't think I.S. isa necessity, just use good technique when taking photos in dim light: - slow steady shuttle pressure, hold your breath, or brace the camera against a treee, etc. The Fuji has good ergonomics, and you will enjoy using it. Beach Camera has it for $299 after the rebate.

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...;sku=FJFPS5100

My only other consideration would be camera size. If you want a smaller,lighter camera for your travels than the Fuji, but with the same zoom and quality, you could look at the Olympus C765 or C770. 4MP and 10x zoom, but smaller than the Fuji, and can fit in a coat pocket. But I don't think you could go wrong with either camera.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 11:16 AM   #9

The S5100 works for me, and I really don't have any problems with taking handheld max zoom pics outdoors. Indoors, you need a good brace if you're not using flash. These guys have it for $245 after rebate, including 2nd day FedEx delivery.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=160024

Good luck.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 2:37 PM   #10

Thank you all for your input!

I was also considering the S5100 as a possible replacement.

I looked at OlympusC770, and I have few questions for it. One thing I'm worried about isthe proprietary battery pack. Does anyone have something to say about it?

Also, which one has a better picture quality: C770 or S5100?

I also looked at FZ15. Do you think it's worth the 50$ more than C770?

Finally, do you think that S2 IS will be a big improvement over S1?

Duh, I think I'll go crazy :blah::blah:

Thanks again.