Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2005, 4:13 PM   #1

I have been using a Canon Power Shot A20digital camera for some time.Would like to move up to a camera with more megapixels and optical zoom. I've been looking at the Panasonic line because of the Mega Optical Image Stabilizer. But the 4 and 5 megapixels werehighin price andtoo big.

I found the new Lumix DMC-LZ1 and LZ2 on this website in February from the show in Orlando. They were released in April and would like to know if some one out therehas tried them or even bought one.

We're taking more vacations now and want a better camera. In August we are going to Alaska for two weeks and and would like to purchase the new camera soon so I can get used to it.

Thanks for your help!

Jowitt
jowitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:06 PM   #2

jowitt wrote:
Quote:
I've been looking at the Panasonic line because of the Mega Optical Image Stabilizer. But the 4 and 5 megapixels werehighin price andtoo big.

I found the new Lumix DMC-LZ1 and LZ2 on this website in February from the show in Orlando.
I hate to tell you this, but he LZ's are 4 and 5 megapixels w/ O.I.S. too.

At any rate, I wouldn't think you would need IS in a camera that only goes to 6x. You only need about a 1/250 sec. to cancel out handheld camera movement at full zoom. Although I am a Panasonic fan (I have an FZ3), I would say that I've not read anything really flattering about the LZ's.

If you want a mid-sized mid-zoom camera, let's say in the 6-8x range, then look at the Nikon 4800. There are also a few 5x zooms from Pentax that are fairly small.

I would have to say that if I were going to AK (again), I would take something with a big zoom, in the 10-12x range. You can get an Olympus 765 for not too much more money, and have a 10x camera that is just a few ounces heavier than the LZ's, and provides better images. Another good choice would be the Fuji 5100. Take a look at the reviews and prices before you decide...

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 10:41 PM   #3

I was in a very similar situation to you, I have had an A40 for quite some time. I was in the market to buy a new camera to bring on vacation with me this summer when I will be going to Europe. I am not a professional photographer, and I don't like to look like a tourist with a giant camera attached to my neck. I also wanted a longer zoom lens and image stabilization. The Panasonic Lumix LZ-2 seemed to fit the bill perfectly. I must say that I have also read some of these reviews that are a bit mixed, but I think that people are expecting way too much from a camera that can be had for less than 275$ I wont be using most of the manual functions most of the time, I don't want to be playing with a camera when I should be enjoying my vacation. With that said, I have to say that I am very happy with my purchase. The pictures are sharp, the colors are beautiful and I haven'ttaken any blurry pictures yet, even in low light (this was a big problem with my previous camera) The camera is small enough for me to carry in my pocket, and I don't have any problems using the 2" LCD outdoor (I don't miss the optical view finder at all) The only think that takes away from this camera being perfect for me is it take a few seconds between photos when taking pictures using the flash. Its only a small problem, and I am still very happy with my purchase. I hope this review was helpful.
bax99tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 8:07 PM   #4

PhilR. wrote:
Quote:
<snipped>
At any rate, I wouldn't think you would need IS in a camera that only goes to 6x. You only need about a 1/250 sec. to cancel out handheld camera movement at full zoom.
I think the IS can be important even at the lower zoom levels by allowing you to use a longer shutter time instead of raising the 'ISO' level when shooting at sub-optimal light levels.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 10:18 PM   #5

It's not just at extreme zoom that OIS is useful. I've taken many hand held shots around dusk, at 1/4 second that have been very sharp due to the OIS.

If you figure that the IOS makes 2 or 3 stops difference, then it's like hand holding at 1/16 or 1/32 which adds up to a sharp shot.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote