Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2005, 6:28 PM   #1

Hi all,

Currently I'min themarket for a digital camera. Does anyone know which manufacturers/brands do not require you to install their software (proprietary drivers, utilities, editors, etc.)? Ideally, I would like toplug-in the USB and Windows will recognize it as a removable storage device, I copy the images to the hardriveandthat's it. Any comments or suggestions would br greatly appreciated, tia
mar1b0r0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:07 PM   #2

Nearly all cameras now let you do this. They will all come with some sort of software, but you don't have to install it.
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 4:36 AM   #3

Of course all digital camera will bundle software and driver. :lol:
zanwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 1:12 PM   #4

Hi Thanks for the info,

I've heard a few horror stories from manufacturers like HP, Kodak, etc. where they make it impossible to download images from your camera without using their bloated & buggy software. Is this true? That's something I really don't want
Old May 1, 2005, 1:53 PM   #5
Administrator

mar1b0r0man wrote:
Quote:
Hi Thanks for the info,

I've heard a few horror stories from manufacturers like HP, Kodak, etc. where they make it impossible to download images from your camera without using their bloated & buggy software. Is this true? That's something I really don't want
Most newer cameras are "USB mass storage compliant", and if you're using Windows XP, they shouldbe recognized as removable drives. But, you do see problems with this from time to time with all manufacturers.

If you buy a camera and do run into problems, the easiest solution is to use a card reader. You can find a USB 2.0 card reader capable of reading a variety of media types for very little money now (most under about $40.00, andsome under $20.00). Sandisk and Lexar are two of the larger manufacturers of Card Readers, and there are many more available.

You can see some reviews of card readers here, but you'll find that even newer models are available, and prices have come down a little, too:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_...s.html#readers

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 3:29 AM   #6

Hey Thanks

A card reader sounds like a great solution.
Old May 4, 2005, 1:09 AM   #7

Windows XP recognizes quite a number of cameras directly. I used a borrowed Kodak without any problems, and my Minolta just gets assigned a drive number when I connect, and I use Explorer to transfer files.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 2:12 AM   #8

Unless there's some REALLY GOOD reason for me to use it, I pretty much EXCLUSIVELY use a card reader to download pics from my Canon S1 IS. (and no, I'm not planning to upgrade to the S2 because: it doesn't take a CF card, it doesn't have at least a 1/1.8" or larger sensor, it's not smaller (I think it's possible if you use 3 or 4 lens telescoping segments - make each segment shorter - this is the main thing that makes my S1 hard to fit in my pocket (although it DOES go in there - it does bulge the front of my pocket some)), it doesn't support ISO 800 or higher, and it's not at least F/1.4 or F/2.0 (or faster) at wideangle).)
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote