Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:27 PM   #1

I'm looking for an ultra-compact digital camera with 4 to 5 megapixels in resolution. Speed, flash recycle time, and fast autofocus (even in low light) is important to me. (I ruled out the Nikon Coolpix 5600 because of its ultra-slow flash recycle). A good movie mode (at least 30 fps, unlimited capture time) with audio would be really nice BUT NOT NEEDED.

I was looking at:

Canon Elph S410/S500 (discontinued i know... the SD300/400 are a bit too pricey for my liking even though I love them)

Pentax Optio S5n

Casio Exilim EXZ40 or EXZ50 or EXZ55 or EXZ57 (50, 55, 57... what's the difference, which one is the best-buy?)

anything else you can recommend would be greatly appreciated...

EDIT... I am now considering the SD300, optio S5n, and EX-Z50... how does the S5n stack up against the SD300 and the EX-Z50 which i've been hearing good things about. Which one has the fastest flash-recharge time. I'm not sure because every review i read gives me different times. :S

tepmurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 12:49 AM   #2

Were they recently discontinued? About a month ago I bought my parents an S500 from newegg and now they don't sell them anymore.
nukem2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 11:52 PM   #3

Keep in mind the SD300 can take roughly 4 minutes of video at 640x480 @ 30fps with a 512mb card. This new video mode on the SDxxx cameras was something I really liked about them, but seeing as how much space they take up, I'm not too impressed anymore.
nukem2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 1:33 PM   #4

nukem2k5 wrote:
Quote:
Keep in mind the SD300 can take roughly 4 minutes of video at 640x480 @ 30fps with a 512mb card. This new video mode on the SDxxx cameras was something I really liked about them, but seeing as how much space they take up, I'm not too impressed anymore.
SD500-> 8mn of mpeg1 video whith 1 go (very good quality)
Better photos for enlargement (sharper)

S5N-> 42 mn of mpeg4 video (Of course the quality is not the same but stay correct).
autofocus better in low light (AF lamp).

I recommend you to go through this forum for photos, videos and macros of the S5n.

I'm waiting whith impatience the steve's review...
robidou is offline   Reply With Quote