Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2005, 12:07 AM   #1

I need help on choosing between these two cameras or a comparable one, if as many as possible would be so kind. I am far from a professional. This will only be my 2nd digital camera. I'm a mother of two, so I take a lot of pictures of my kids in the pool, proms, football, etc. Though I usually use a video camera for football games. I also sell some of my daughter's clothes on Ebay sometimes, so indoor pictures were important to me. That's one of the reasons I chose these two cameras. I liked a review on the DX7440 b/c it showed no redeyes on their test for that. Some of the other features I liked on these are:

*Both good video * both are pretty idiot proof * both have manual controls in case the idiot grows in intelligence of photography, Lens conversions, etc. * both have big LCD displays * one or both had a flash you could add to it

I've read good and bad, of course, with both. I read a lot of users had problems with Sony having blurry pictures and the Kodak shows dust in some pictures in the house. I was getting ready, in fact, to go for the Kodak when I read that one a few times from different people. It probably, of course, has a lot to do with the picture taker.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
DSWInUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 12:41 AM   #2

Hi DSW:I assume your price point is around the cost of the Kodak or Sony??

Based on your level of experience and planned use, you should get an Olympus D-595. Compared to the Kodak: better photo quality, 5 MP vs. the Kodak 4MP, greater resolution, much better for close in macro work, 15 scene programs which is very, very, helpful for the inexperienced photographer, more compact and weighs much less so it's easier to carry, and it uses plain old AA batteries while the Kodak uses an expensive Lithium-Ion battery.

The Oly lens is usually rated higher than either the Kodak or Sony in this price range. Compared to the Sony, the Oly is lighter, with closer focus, and better F-stopat max telephoto (Oly F2.8-4.9 vs Sony F2.8-5.2. (Also,stay away from the Sony and their memory stick storage.)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021710oly_d595z.asp

Good luck in your camera hunt.

Steven R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:16 AM   #3

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your advice. There's just no way I could read about and compare all of them. I'll check it out.

Thanks again, Debbie
DSWInUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 10:30 AM   #4

(Also,stay away from the Sony and their memory stick storage.)

Steven R What are you smokin??? The olympus uses even more pricey and flimsy xD cards which are even harder to find than Memory Stick.

Plus the Olympus 595 does not have a focus assist lamp, works feebly in low light, uses a small 1.8inch LCD, uses a small 1/2.5 sensor, non-existent movie mode, is slowwww, is probably made cheaply in China.. the list goes on and on.. All in all, I think the Sony DSCW5 or the Canon A520 would probably work for your needs. The Canon 520 blows away the Oly in just about every department..

And where do you come up with your comment that the Olympus lens is rated higher than Sony's.. Must I remend you that the Sony uses a Carl Zeiss lens !!
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 12:26 PM   #5

[Steven R What are you smokin??? The olympus uses even more pricey and flimsy xD cards which are even harder to find than Memory Stick.]

Flimsy and hard to find xD cards? Surely you jest! Try doing a search on ebay for xd 256 and xd 512...you'll probably come up with around 300 hits. I don't know of any online camera store that sells digital cameras that does not also sell xD cards. Every retail store I visited to try out cameras and shop prices before I bought mine sold xD cards.

Flimsy? I've yet to break one (or have one fail).

Pricey? I bought two 256 xD cards for less than $30 apiece. I haven't been able to find an online retailer selling a 256 memory stick for less than $33.09.

Steven was trying to help Debbie in her search for a camera. No need to bash someone because they don't love your favorite brand of camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 6:24 PM   #6

So whats your point? You can get 1gb SD cards for about $45 -$50 after rebate. Why should I buy a 256 mb XD for $30 then
Old May 2, 2005, 8:51 PM   #7

How did you get on the subject of SD cards? What's MY point? Let me walk you through it, and see if you can possibly comprehend.

Steven R said, "(Also,stay away from the Sony and their memory stick storage.)"

chrisdsa said, "Steven R What are you smokin??? The olympus uses even more pricey and flimsy xD cards which are even harder to find than Memory Stick."

I challenged your statement that xD cards are more pricey and harder to find than Memory Stick. I backed that up with real life facts; 1. that I could find xD cards in numerous retail establishments and that I could find xD cards in numerous online establishments as well as on ebay, and 2. I then provided a real life example of how I purchased two 256 MB xD cards on ebay for less than $30 each, and I also stated that I was unable to find a comparable Memory Stick for less than $33 online. I fail to understand how you can say that xD cards are hard to find, and how xD cards are more expensive than Memory Sticks. You also stated that xD cards are flimsy, yet you offered no objective evidence to back up your statement. This is not the first time you have bashed xD cards in this forum.

Why do you say xD cards are flimsy? Why do you say xD cards are more pricey than Memory Sticks?

My apologies to DSWinUSA (Debbie) for interrupting her search for a camera.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 3:47 AM   #8

You dont seem to realize that the Canon 520 takes SD cards???