Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 3, 2005, 7:32 PM   #11
KSV

Nagootie wrote:
Quote:
Hey Vito:

Thanks for your help. I was kind of expecting that you would recommend going to digital SLR. Do you know if you can take the SD card out of the IstDS and put it directly into a printer or computer or do you have to use the USB cable? I guess using the cable wouldn't be that big of a hassle but I can't figure out why you wouldn't be able to just load the card?

Nagootie
Hmm..... you have been answered this question in another tread http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2. Why you asking again? Disbelieve JimC? I can assure you that he is right - you not oblige to use USB cable with *ANY* camera, as least AFAIMC
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 9:02 PM   #12

Well Vito,

I disagree with your statement about going DSLR and you will never go back. I have the Pentax *ist DS. Awesome camera for the reasons already stated in this thread by KSV.

I continue to enjoy using my Pana FZ's (1v2, 10 and 20) and my Konica-MinoltaZ10.

Just because you find yourself feeling that way does not mean others do as well.

Nothing so far beats macro that the FZ's are capable of and the Z10 is no slouch either.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 6:29 AM   #13
KSV

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Well Vito,

I disagree with your statement about going DSLR and you will never go back. I have the Pentax *ist DS. Awesome camera for the reasons already stated in this thread by KSV.

I continue to enjoy using my Pana FZ's (1v2, 10 and 20) and my Konica-MinoltaZ10.

Just because you find yourself feeling that way does not mean others do as well.

Nothing so far beats macro that the FZ's are capable of and the Z10 is no slouch either.
:-) Everyone different. I have FZ-10, and after that *istDS. Now FZ-10 (BTW, I agree with you - great camera!) mainly collecting dust :-(
Old May 4, 2005, 6:52 AM   #14

KSV, as the starter of this thread this is also my question....how come your *ist DS is collecting dust, i really like this camera and am looking to jump to the DSLR stage but the big zoom panasonics are a great camera aswell (my step sister has a DMC-FZ20) and ive used them requently...

thanks

-Sam-
-Sam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 6:55 AM   #15

I shot 35mm for years with a multitude of lenses, also medium format. I laid off for a few years then about three years ago went digital with the Sony 707 which is a great camera updated by the 717 and 828 black body. Now I have a Canon 20D SLR with several lenses and other accesories to the tune of $5K. dSLRs definitely have their purpose if you want to step into a whole new dimension of photography. That being said, I still use my Sony 707 and it so easy to just grab and shoot unlike the dSLR that takes some time to install a lens and get set up etc. There is room for both in this world so enjoy the best of both!!

Also, I spend a lot of time kayaking and fishing; I'm just not ready to take my dSLR gear on the water but the Sony goes everywhere I go.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 7:08 AM   #16

Trout guy

thanks, yeha well i love going out with the intention to capture something surreal, therefore a DLSR would be great but other times my olympus MJU500 is just great to throw in my pocket and run around the place, so i will defenatly keep the best of both worlds too, thanks

-Sam-
-Sam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 7:59 AM   #17

Definitely go dSLR! I've only had my Rebel XT for about a week and it's awesome. Even in full auto mode, it takes fantastic pictures and focuses extremely quickly. Of course, it really shines (like most any dSLR) in the different manual modes available. If you're hoping to make a serious hobby of photography, don't settle for a dSLR without as many manual options as you can afford it to have, regardless the brand you go with.

Until this camera I used a real 35 mm Nikon with assorted lensesfor my hobby shots and a P&S digital for family stuff. I have a feeling my 35mm is going to be quite neglected once I get the hang of the Rebel XT, except for B & W. I haven't found a digicam where I like the BW photos more than on a real 35 mm camera.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 8:36 AM   #18

I'd go DSLR, any of the cameras mentioned are a good buy. I have friends withthe pentax and it takes a very nice photo as does the nikon D70. I myself got the 300D last year and it is a great camera, I cant see the point ofupgrading to the rebel XT, maybe the 20D:-)

When it comes down to it,all these cameras take a good photo, the lenses are where the difference is. I have been getting second hand lenses from a guy in Sydney via Ebay so it is not breaking the bank. I don't know much about pentax lensesbut can tell you that Canon and Nikon go like hotcakes on Aussie Ebay.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 1:10 AM   #19
KSV

-Sam- wrote:
Quote:
KSV, as the starter of this thread this is also my question....how come your *ist DS is collecting dust, i really like this camera and am looking to jump to the DSLR stage but the big zoom panasonics are a great camera aswell (my step sister has a DMC-FZ20) and ive used them requently...

thanks

-Sam-
Now FZ-10 mainly collecting dust!!! After having *istDS it is very few reason to shoot by FZ-10. I enjoy *istDS much more - greater fun and better pix quality. Well, probably I am biased, because came from long-term SLR shooting :-)