Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2005, 2:00 AM   #1

hey, im new to the forums, i currently have a OLYMPUS mju 500 (sylus 500) p&s camera, i love it because i take it everywhere i go and can capture that moment. I love photography and have preoduced some amazing shots using the olympus but recently i have been held back my the lack of manual controls and zoom.

I am aware of proconsumer cameras but it still holds me back, the optical zoom takes time to zoom from tele to wide and becomes a hassle. At first i fell in love with the panasonic DMZ-FZ20 but i thought to myself, why spend nearly $950 (australian) when i can spend a little over $1199 and recieve the Pentax *ist DS which i have heard only good of. My dad also owns 2 old PENTAX lenses, a macro and a 70-400 zoom, (i think) so i would also have 3 lenses to play with.

My question is, do u think this is a good jump or too soon ?....im only 17, (soon 18 and im taking photograhy lessons, i dont want to make a career out of it but love itas a hobby. also does this DSLR sound good for me (PENTAX *ist DS)

Thanks again for your help.

-Sam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 2:58 AM   #2

I'm in the same situation with a Fuji S20 right now, but I am going to make a career out of it and eagerly awaiting some funding to jump up.

I went from an Olympus C3030 to a 2500L to a Fuji S20, so I've always had the manual controls, but I'm still limited in optics.

I would say go for it, if you areadly plan on spending $950 for the Panasonic, the extra $200 would be way worth it. I've been dying for 2 years now to get the money to get my hands on a dSLR.

I say go for the *ist DS. You already have the lenses, and you want the body. Only downside is $1200, which I'm sure would be way worth it if you already enjoy taking pictures.
Sormaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 4:24 AM   #3

If you can wait until August you can make a better decision. Fuji has developed 5th HR ccd which has better SN in high ISO. F10 is its slim type, prosummer and DSLR still not announced. Nikon D50 is another good choice, you can choose Nikkor 50mm f1.8 + Sigma 18-125mm f3.5 as your idea entry Camera. :-)
zanwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 2:33 PM   #4
Super Moderator

in the lower end of the dslr's the canon rebel xt cannot be beat.. for a price similar to the *ds and the soon to be released d50.. you get 8 vs 6 megapixels, less noise at higher ISO's, faster af and startup times... so go ahead and checkout the rebel xt.. think you'll be most impressed..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 6:40 AM   #5

hey hards80,

i was already aware of the canon 350D (rebel XT) and quite liked it until i read mixed reviews on the AF and the quality of the pictures. In Australia the difference in price between the *ist DS and the canon is nearly $700 which is a huge jump for me and with no thing but good reviews coming from the *ist DS i can safely say that for me it seems to be a top notch camera, however;
i am widely open to suggestions as im no where near "experianced" enough to jump to a quick desision like that. So i am very thankful of your suggestions and would like more feedback to which camera u guys believe is good. Also if u have any reviews on the 350D (rebel XT) that are promoting its "greatness" i would love to see it.

thanks again

-SaM-
Old May 2, 2005, 3:25 PM   #6

I'm a new member here so I hope this isn't the second time I've sent this same question. Anyway, I have a 4 or 5 meg Olympus digital camera and it takes very nice pictures but it's very slow writing to the smart media card while I wait to shoot. It's also limited with it's 3x's zoom, etc. So I want to go up to something more sophisticated but the more I read the more confused I get. Do I buy something like the Nikon 880 or do I go to and SLR like the istDS? Is the only difference that you can change lenses on the SLR? Otherwise, what is so different about these two systems? If I go for the SLR, the thousand reviews that I've read (slight exaggeration) point to the istDS as being the right one for me but the only hesitation I have there is the 6 megs because with the speed of this digital tech freight train, surely Pentax will be soon announcing an upgrade to the istDS with more megs?? Don't you think? Anyway, I need help on deciding whether or not to go for the Nikon 880 or an SLR. Also, with this istDS, the specs keep saying that you have "easy uploading via USB cable." Can't you take the SD card and stick it in your computer or your printer like you can with other digital's? As you can see, I'm pretty much an ameteur. Thanks for any help anyone can give me. Nagootie
Nagootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 8:28 PM   #7
KSV

-Sam- wrote:
Quote:
...In Australia the difference in price between the *ist DS and the canon is nearly $700...
So go for *istDS. I am in Oz and this is what I did. Never regret my decision, *istDS is great camera and in many aspects the best in its class (biggest and brightest viewfinder, huge LCD screen, ultimate lens compatibility, generic AA battery, very accurate autofocus although sometimes a bit slow). 8mp v 6mp is negligent difference to swing my decision. And last but not least - Pentax forums most user friendly
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 11:29 PM   #8

KSV,

thanks for the feedback, u pretty much sealed the deal, thanks

-Sam-
Old May 2, 2005, 11:37 PM   #9

go dSLR...you'll never go back

the old lenses will probably only work with manual focus though (not a huge deal...you'll get used to it, and it'll be better for you in the long run anyway)

one thing to consider..

is the dSLR system is a money pit...lol

i started out spending *only* 700 bucks on a Canon 300D(with kit lens)...but have spent another 900 dollars on lenses, and a couple hundred on other accessories..

just warning you

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 9:15 AM   #10

Hey Vito:

Thanks for your help. I was kind of expecting that you would recommend going to digital SLR. Do you know if you can take the SD card out of the IstDS and put it directly into a printer or computer or do you have to use the USB cable? I guess using the cable wouldn't be that big of a hassle but I can't figure out why you wouldn't be able to just load the card?

Nagootie
Nagootie is offline   Reply With Quote