Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2005, 7:43 PM   #1

I would like to purchase a digital camera for my Mom. She is in her 80's and last used an Advantix camera. In the past two years I have got her to the point she can manage her computer and printer so now I would like to get her started with digital photography. Based on her past photography, she would take pictures of family, senior club events and some outdoor photography. It has to be one that is completely auto. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 8:48 PM   #2

Pretty much all digicams have an auto mode. They will all do the kind of photography you mention. Therefore, there are about a thousand (give or take) possibilities that willfulfill your requirements.

If you want to narrow down the list of possibilities, you might mention how many megapixels you need, what amount of money you would like to spend, and if there are any brands you particularly like or dislike.

Personally, I would run down to the local Wal-mart and get one of the 3mp/3x zoom digicams that are in the $150 range, and go from there....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 8:59 PM   #3

Thanks PhilR. After viewing the threads and reviews on the consumer autos I agree with what you wrote. I was looking for advice on what others have been happy with or that they have bought for elderly relatives and found them easy to use. Part of my concern is battery usage. I can keep her supplied with freshly charged AA batteries yet I know from my own digital experience some cameras are easier on batteries than others. Brands . . . I have owned Canon, Kodak, FujiFilm and Nikon.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks again.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Steve
Old May 1, 2005, 11:00 PM   #4

Ifmom can figure out how to work a computer, then she sure can figure out how to recharge a set of batteries. Yes, some cameras are easier on batteries than others, but they will all do well when you plug in a set of 2500mah AA's. With batteries this powerful, battery life is the least of your concerns....

If you really want simple, you can get a 3mp Kodak fixed-lens for under $99. I think the model # is 7300. Canon also makes the A310, which is also 3mp/fixed lens. It does a bit more than the Kodak, but one doesn't have to use those extra features if you don't want to.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 12:13 AM   #5

BrierS - my mum, new to computers and digicams, boughta Nikon Coolpix 3100 a couple of years ago. I was recently playing with it all weekend and it's very simple but produces nice sharp images with very little effort.She's hardly used it, we took a few pics and now she's very excited.It does need NIMH batteries though. Iuse an entry-level HP camera at workon a daily basisand wish I was toting the Nikon! That being said, I haven't had much experience with many other basic digicams, but definitely check Nikon out.
lhtorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 6:06 AM   #6

Thanks ihtorrie. I will check the Nikons.
Steve
Old May 3, 2005, 6:51 AM   #7

Steve - I'll post a couple of pics I took with it for you. These pics are straight from the camera, only they've been resized and reduced to 96 dpi in Photoshop. I had to reduce the quality a fraction to get them under the 250KB in the forums, but they'll give you an idea of the kind of pics it can take.
Attached Images

Old May 3, 2005, 6:53 AM   #8

Another one - it was a cloudy day when I took them... the camera was fully auto.
Attached Images

Old May 3, 2005, 6:56 AM   #9

Last one - from memory I made the white balance 'cloudy' for this one to test it though...
Attached Images

Old May 3, 2005, 7:03 AM   #10

lhtorrie,
Great family photos (my kind at least . . . four-legged family). Thanks for sharing those. I guess you made my choice easier. Mom will love a new venture especially since Dad passed away just over two weeks ago. After three months short of 60 years she (we) have quite an empty spot to fill . . . insulin dependant for 70 years and still had most of his eyesight and all of his limbs. Mom really took care of him.

Side-tracked . . . she needs something extra to do and digital photography will be part of it. Thanks again. I'll post her progress after she gets going with it.
Steve (Brier was my Bulldog)