Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2005, 9:01 PM   #1

Since my W1 was stolen (AAARRRGH) I am in the market for something new.

I want a nice balance between image quality and size, probably something smaller than the w1 but not something as small as say the Casio Exilim S100.

I need it for taking going out shots with my friends and for some hobbie shooting.

I am leaning towards the cannon S series and something very important to me is to have a decent movie mode, unlimited to memory card is best.

I've been looking at the Nikon 3700, some old Panasonic Lumix cameras I've seen on ebay.

From the reviews I read, the SD series seems to give up a fair amount of image quality for its compact size. I have been flirting with the idea of getting two cameras but I don't think that's worth it.

I don't really like the aesthetics of the canon S or SD series because of the chrome on it but the use of SD cards in the SD is nice because my Treo 650 uses SD cards.

I would like a nice mid compact with as much manual controls and a good movie mode if they make these...
FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 10:46 PM   #2

If you want manual controls, then you don't want the 3700. My wife loves her's, but then again she is strictly an auto-mode shooter.

Your best bet might well be the Canon A series, with the newer A510/520 using SD cards. I don't do movie mode however, so I don't know how good these are in that respect, but the reviews will have that info.

There's also the compact Fuji E series to consider as well, which have manual controls. However, they do not use SD.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 12:29 AM   #3

Yeah looks like its the A510 for me
FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 8:57 AM   #4

I purchased a 510 for a friend recently, and found it to be a very nice and quite capable camera. The have been comments about it's long flash recharge times, but then again it uses just two batteries. Neither my friend or I take rapid-fire flash shots, so we can live with the 8-9 sec. recharge times....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 11:49 PM   #5

The only thing holding me back from the A520/A510 models is their damn long flash recharge time D:
nukem2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote