Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2005, 11:14 PM   #1

I'm overwhelmed with choices right now! I'm looking to take the next step to a high-quality digital camera. Can't afford a DSLR, so have to take a step down from that. I was leaning towards the Canon G6 or Canon Pro1, but both have drawbacks, moreso from the Pro1. I'm concerned with the complaints about dust in the lens of the Pro1 mainly. So now I'm also looking at the Olympus 8080 or the Sony Cybershot DSCV3. But, since I'm not familiar with the manual functions on this type of camera, I'm not sure which is best.

The majority of my pictures will be of my 2 kids, lots of indoor shots with them, plus some landscapes and scenic shots, some macro.

I think I've now overanalyzed this and am just too overwhelmed to figure out which is the best option! I'd love to hear the pros and cons of these, or any others that are comprible. I'm looking for at least 6 mp and under $800.

TraceyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 12:47 AM   #2

Why are you set on a 6mp? I seriously doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between a 2mp and a 6mp for the shots you want to take. Unless you plan to make poster size blow-ups, 4mp is plenty enough for most shots blownup to 11x17. 4mp will also give you plenty of detail for major crops for 4x6 prints.

A quality 6mp camera will take lousy pictures if you don't have the quality lens(es) to go with it. I won't suggest a make because I'm partial to my $300 4mp camera that puts most other cameras to shame in picture quality and features.

The point is, a 6mp camera won't make you a better photographer and the extra pixels will be a lost cost for non-professional use.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 1:05 AM   #3
Super Moderator

i think that the canon g6 would be hard to beat.. great image quality,great build and great features.. and it offers both fully automatic mode for snapshots, and all the manual features you could need if you so desire.. it also is fully compatable with the eos line of external flashes if you find the built in one is insufficient for your needs.. there are many other cameras too that would fit your bill as well, but since you mentioned it, the g6 is just a wonderful camera, arguably the best in its class..

enjoy, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:26 AM   #4

My recommendation is the Panasonic FZ20. Read its reviews and visit its forum to check out the feedback of its current users.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 4:27 PM   #5

What kind of camera do you have? Please tell me all about it. This is the price range I am looking into. I want a wider angle lense and the ability to do closeups for eBay. Thanks for help.

Kindleon
kindleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 4:29 PM   #6

Sorry, I am new to this. I just posted a message and should have been directed to CCWKen.

Kindleon
kindleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:40 PM   #7

Hi Kindleon

I have the Fujifilm S5100. It's pictured in my Avitar at left.

Great camera for the price. There's no better camera near it's price range.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 12:46 AM   #8
Super Moderator

i have some problems with the fuji 5100 for tracey's purposes.. the 10x zoom is not necessary for scenics and pictures of her kids.. plus as steve mentioned in his review it produces some noticeable vignetting on the wide angle, which i would guess would be used more than the tele end.. so while i agree with you that the 5100 is one of the best in its class, i think that maybe its not the right choice here...

here are some examples that i think may fit your bill a little better: Fuji E550, Canon S60 or S70, Nikon 5200 or 7600, Olympus 5500, Sony V3, etc..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 1:16 AM   #9

I got a Fuji 5100, too. it really takes great pictures, and easy to use. but if you don't need 10X zoom. and youneed a better marco camera - try to get a Nikon 5400. it's now doing the $200 rebate you can get a for less the $300. I bought one for ebay for $295 include shipping...
k_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 10:42 PM   #10

Must be something wrong with my S5100 - I just checked about 500 pics, and there's no vignetting in any of them. Maybe I should take it in for service (LOL). Tonight, I was down at the Little League field, where I took about 180 shots of the kids playing baseball. Most of them were in the 8-10x zoom range. I don't see how you can expect capture a shortstop playing a grounder with a 3x from the bleachers. You wouldn't be able to tell who it was.

The S5100 is no $800 camera, it doesn't have 6 MP resolution, and I know there are far better cameras on the market, but I have to agree with Ken, that for what it is, it's a lot of camera for the money. I'm pleased with mine.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote