Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 3, 2005, 1:58 AM   #1

Hi all,

I need to get my hands on a decent digital camera on a fairly modest budget. I spent most of last night reading through Steve's site with a much more camera savvy friend, trying to work out what would be suitable for me and within my budget.

The closest thing I found for my needs was the Canon PowerShot A520, as I'm looking for something around the 4 megapixel range, with at least 4x optical zoom. The A520 meets that criteria, and receive a good report from both Steve and the friend who was helping me search. However, unfortunately it seems to fall just outside my budget no matter where I look! I can't find it anywhere, online or offline, for less than $350AUD/$270USD, whereas I really can't justify paying any more than about $250AUD/$190USD for a camera at the moment.

Can anybody tell me if there are any cams with similar specs to the Canon A520, but at a cheaper price? Or perhaps a good place to buy the A520 at a better price than what I've discovered (in Australia, or online that ships to Australia)?

If I have to make compromises to save money, I'd prefer to go for a lower pixel rate than a lower zoom - am considering maybe the A510 instead, but the price difference doesn't seem worth it. I do need a camera with at least 4x optical zoom (would prefer higher if possible!), but will get a 3MP, or even a 2MP if I have to, to make it fit my budget.

Basically I could really just use a little feedback on what else is out there, if anything, around the 4MP/4x zoom range, and around the $150-$200USD price range, if such a thing exists. If not, then what's the closest I can get?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give!
Vaelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2005, 5:17 AM   #2

Hey vaelor, I had the a510 and it took good pictures , but I could not stand the 9 to 11 seconds it took to record the picture after a shot using the flash.If you do not mindthat, then its a good camera.

s
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 8:24 AM   #3

I have no idea as to the prices of the following where you live, but it would be worth your time to look into:

Kodak 6340, 6440, 6445

Sony V1

Fuji E550

Panasonic LZ-1

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 11:48 AM   #4

Thanks Phil, I'll look into those models! Appreciate the feedback.
Vaelor is offline   Reply With Quote