Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 3, 2005, 9:56 PM   #1

Im looking for a digital camera....I already have a Sony DSC-P20 (1.3, no zoom) and im looking for something better. I have used my friends Digital Rebel......omg that thing is awesome....hes got the 75-300mm zoom lens. I dont have the money for a really nice camera like the Rebel, and i would also like something that is a little easier to carry around than that.
OK, here are the general requirements that Im looking for:

3-4 mp
at least 3x zoom
ability to take movies that are at least 640 x 480 and preferably 15 fps
a decent amount of manual controls (ISO, f stop, aperture, shutter priority(?) i dont really know much about this stuff)
relatively cheap (less than $200, but im really looking for about $150)

I was looking at the Canon A70, A75 and A510....how are these? Ive heard a few stories about the reliability of the A70 in the long run....
Thanks!
Will
willjoe86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2005, 12:49 AM   #2

For that price range, an e500 or e510 would be good if you want an economical camera that still has a lot of manual features and takes good pictures. The large high resolution LCD also makes viewing and taking pictures easy. I have the E550, the Flagship of the E series, and I love it. The E500 or E510 will give you a lot of the great features that most digital cameras in your price range lack. The only thing that does not fit your needs are the 10fps videos. If you could, I would save up to $250 and get the e550, but I understand you can't always up your buget. But there are many great cameras in the $150-200 price range right now. For Fuji, the A340 will be a little simpiler and cheaper, and the E500 will have a few more features and probably a better quality piece of equipment.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 12:54 AM   #3
Super Moderator

i would definatly check out canon's a510.. one of the best buys out there...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a510.html

enjoy!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 9:58 AM   #4

hello there.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

this is an excellent web site with reviews and all. maybe you should look sony cybershot dsc-s40 up. 4mp, up to 30fps at 640x480, up to 30s exposure... I might go for that one myself.
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 6:44 PM   #5

Thanks guys!

Any more suggestions out there?
willjoe86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 10:36 AM   #6

Wal- Mart has started to discount the Kodak DX6490 to the 240 - 260 dollar range. It will do about anything you want. 10x zoom and the ability to add Teleconvertors make it a pretty good choice for those long shots. Here is one taken yesterday from about 100 yards. Full auto and sports mode.

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 2:10 AM   #7

This is one of my grandaughter taken with out flash inside by my daughter. this was the first time for her to use the DX6490 and all I told her was to push half way down on the shutter button and when it turned green to push the rest of the way down. Pretty good for her first try!

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote