Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 8, 2005, 3:27 PM   #11

hey the hun.

fringing is caused specially when the lens doesn't use glass with low enough dispersion. you know the funcion of the lens is to converge every ray coming from a specific point to a specific point in the sensor, right? so if the lens quality isn't that good, light that goes through it is refracted, like when passing through a prism (remember pink floyd's dark side of the moon album cover). so, if there's a very bright area next to a dark area, you can see the edge of the bright area splitting a little and hence showing the purple, which is the colour with highest refraction index. well, that's it in a nutshell. so it's possible that it varies from one camera to the next, but, unless there's a considerable hardware change, these variation won't be too big. I think the same applies to vignetting, unless there's a gross manufactury fault in the camera tested before.

anyway, both these problems are only really visible in extreme cases, like the steel and glass roof I posted below. nikon makes some of the best lens in the world at consumer level, and this particular model I posted (5600) has low dispersion glass, and there's still some purple fringing on that too. I picked that one to make the difference clear. in general, for everyday pics, those faults won't be really noticeable, specially if you're not making use of the full 5mp/6mp e510/e550 have to offer. these aspects only made me rule fuji out cause image quality is maybe my most important feature when considering a camera. the e500 series still have great features, nonetheless. just to name one, they're the only cameras in their segments offering 28mm wide angle lens. bottom line is, sometimes you get what you pay for, and that seems to be the case.
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 8:31 PM   #12

Dark Side of the Moon? How old do you think I am, kezs? OK, maybe I do remember it...maybe my older brother had it or something...

And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes...

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 8:54 PM   #13

sure sure, your brother :lol: well I'm 23 and I know it pretty well. I got the -> CD <- :-)

...I'll see you on the dark side of the moon!
Old May 9, 2005, 4:21 AM   #14

dont forget almost al 4mp to 5 mp cameras under 350% exhibit purple fringing.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 9:45 AM   #15

350%? did you mean 350$?

sure they do, many of them. but, as the comparison I uploaded shows, the e510 does show a lot and the nikon 5600 hardly. the sony are also very good, with the zeiss lens.