Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 4, 2005, 10:10 PM   #1

Hello everyone, I was just wondering what would be a good camera in the $240 area. What I would really want is something compact. That is the main reasoning and also with lots of features. I'm leaning towards a Canon SD300 whenever that goes down inprice. I really like Canons but a bit pricey. Any suggestions? thank you.
v-feezy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2005, 10:48 PM   #2

Lots of good cameras in that price range. Sony has a new camera in the $199 range - the S40 I think. You can also find the Nikon 3200 in that price range as well. You should also consider the Canon A510, which is probably the $199 camera with the most features. You could buy one of those and still have enough left over for a bigger memory card, or a set of rechargeable batteries. All of these are fairly compact, but they aren't as small as an SD.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 2:47 AM   #3

yeah i was looking at the dsc-S40. Anyone have an opinion on this camera?
v-feezy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 10:13 AM   #4

I'm seriously considering buying it. it seems to be very versatile, with 30s exposure, manual settings, 640x480 30fps video with audio and a somewhat wide angle lens (32mm), being also very compact. its picture quality is also great, with zeiss lens. at 189 (b&h), you can also get rechargeable batteries and a nice memory stick within your price range.

I'm also looking into dsc-p93 - 5 mp for an extra 20 bucks. no sure though cause the lens are 38mm-114mm.
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 2:59 PM   #5

I personally do not like sony cameras. My grandmother has a 2003 Sony model similar to the one you are looking at with 5MP also, not sure which one specificly. The pictures it take s are pretty good, but it someone clumbsy and the screen is hard to see in all conditions in my opinion. The Canon A95 is another Canon in your price range, as is my E550. BTW, my grandmother who has the Sony wants my Fuji. :G

The Fuji's primiary downsides compared to the sony's is that it is not as compact and it only has a 3 second exposure max, but most rarely need more. The Canon SD300 seems pretty nice as well. I am not a big fan of propiatory batteries, though, but if you are okay with it, go ahead.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 12:47 AM   #6

the e500 series looks great to me. though, I've downloaded a few sample images from different sources, and they all seem to have soft images and considerable purple fringing. I've read somewhere that their compression is too high... I'm not sure. but the image quality of those samples made me rule fuji out.

as for the a95, it has a video lenght limit, and I like the idea of making videos too, specially with the quality the latest models have to offer. my mind is set on a 1gb card, whatever model I get.

Old May 8, 2005, 3:49 AM   #7

I purchased the kodak cx7530 a couple of weeks ago and it's been anexcellent digicamfor me. Its not that small, but not to big. Has 5mps, I have not seen a better camera fora $199.00. It also takes 2 aa batteries and an sd card, which are pretty reasonable. Also start time is about 2 or3 seconds before first picture. It take about a second from picture to the next picture and a couple of more seconds using the flash. Hope this helps.
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 8:18 AM   #8

Hey kezs,

Could you please post a couple of those E500 series pictures that you mentioned had soft images with considerable purple fringing? I'd like to see what that looks like.

Thanks.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 9:49 AM   #9

hi the Hun.

of course. here are a few examples.

this is e500.

e510 here.

e510 again. notice how you can't really tell the orange from the blue in certain parts.

just for the sake of comparison, this here shows what I mean by considerable purple fringing.

the e510.

the nikon 5900.

the image quality IMHO seems to be the one problem with e500.
Old May 8, 2005, 11:06 AM   #10

Thanks for the education, kezs. I hadn't seen that before - I guess the cameras I had been looking at didn't exhibit that problem. I checked some gallery pics on another site, and one of the E500 pics also showed the same type fringing, although it was in one area of a high contrast, backlit situation. The other pictures in the gallery looked fine, though.

I just checked a whole bunch of my pics, and I saw no evidence of fringing. I also checked some E550 pics, and didn't see that there either.

What causes the purple fringing? Is that a problem with the lens or the sensor? Could it be just a problem with the early test camera, or do you think every camera of that series is similarly afflicted?

According to some sources, my camera produces pictures with unacceptable vignetting, however mine does not. I know other people who own the same camera and have not had this problem. Perhaps the manufacturers respond to feedback and correct these problems?

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote