Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 5, 2005, 8:45 AM   #1

I am down to two cameras now tpo buy my mother, the Fujifilm E550 and Canon Powershot A520. They both do a very good job at what they're meant for and despite a few flaws I'd be pretty happy with either but just to help me scale the final hurdle can someone with xperience of either let me know their suggestion.

Other models can be thrown into the fire, geez I've thought about the Canon powershot SD500, Canon Powershot A95 etc etc

I don't want the Panasonic's or the Fuji S7000's etc as they are too bulky, I want to get a handysized camera.
Fussybuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2005, 12:54 PM   #2

I have been using my E550 for the past 4 months.
Takes a great picture IMO. Not to bulky. The camrea is set for 6mp from fuji.I have take pics from 2mp to 12mp.The flash is good for close ups but will not light up a room.
This camera powers up fast and can take pictures fast.
Outside the LCD is not to good. Need to shade it to see what you want to shoot. Have three children and I can capture them just fine.
Hope this Helps.
Kev
KEV61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 2:23 PM   #3

The Fuji E550 is slow, useless in low light, noisy, and uses pricy xD cards. The Canon 520, SD300 or the Sony DSCW5 are all better purchases.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 4:46 PM   #4

Hi there, i had the canon a75 and canon a85...liked the 75, didnt like the 85...my 75 made really weird noises so sears gave me the 85 but i sent it back and got the fuji e550 which i LOVE...i would choose it over my canons anyday. I think the pic quality is terrific, it is very fast, has a great movie mode, has many manual options, and it small and light. For all those who say the indoor pics are no good, i find it very comparable to my canon a75 and much better than my 85 was. The lcd is huge, which i love, and again, comparable to my canons. I have had my camera for almost 2 months and havent regretted it for a second....Good luck

sharon:-)
jakoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 5:59 PM   #5

How can you say the Xd card is pricey?Compared to what SD ,Sm ,Sony memory stick. The E550 is not slow. I love my E550 and would not traded for a Cannon, Sony, Kodak, Or Nikon.
KEV61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 6:46 PM   #6

Let's be fair and honest, here...

Regarding the E550 and speed (professional reviews):

Incredibly fast performance - dcresource.com

...the FinePix E550 is unexpectedly quick for a point-and-shoot camera and blows away most competing models within its price range - digitalcamerinfo.com

The camera proved itself to be fast and responsive in many of our tests. For example, start up, shot to shot, and shutter lag times were very speedy - anandtech.com

Finally, the Fujifilm E550 is f-a-s-t! If you miss a candid shot, it won't be because of this camera: the lens extends in about 1 sec. and the LCD displays in about 0.5 sec. more; shutter lag is negligible for all practical purposes; and shot-to-shot is about 1 sec., except for flash pictures when it takes about 3 sec. to recharge the flash - photoxels.com

The camera's response is lightning fast, the zoom lens is ready in no time at all to take its first image, and navigating through the menu, setting the various functions found under various buttons, and taking series of pictures, are tasks that the Fujifilm FinePix E550 handles instantly. The camera's performance on this area is excellent - letsgodigital.org

This handy little compact camera gives the 7MPs a run for their money; for this price, you'll be pleased with the pictures it takes—and the speed at which it can take them - pcmag.com

The FinePix E550 is also fast, something to be admired in a digicam. Its lens comes out quickly, AF points are picked quickly, it switches between modes and menus with snap, and both shutter response and shot to shot speeds are quite fast - imaging-resource.com

The E550's responsiveness nearly matches the performance of consumer-class digital SLR's; you'll be able to capture most unposed moments and sports action without the delays typical of most consumer digicams - steves-digicams.com

IMO, xD cards are a little less expensive than memory stick, and a little more expensive than SD cards. I cetainly wouldn't base my camera purchase decision on the difference of a couple of dollars for a memory card.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 7:49 PM   #7
Super Moderator

to be fair and honest..

you can't go wrong between either of these models.. they are both near the tops of this class..

that given, have you handled or used either of them? give em both a try at a local electronics or camera store.. with your mom in mind, see which would seem a better fit for her.. whether it be easier to use, or whatever is important to her..

and then be confident that whichever way you go, you have made the right choice..

cheers,
dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 12:56 AM   #8

There also seems to be a lot of fanatics in the Fuji and Olympus crowd. I did read the review on dcresource.com and I guess the previous poster selectively pasted whatever was interesting to him. When I said slow, I meant slow in low light and indoors. I stand by my assessment.. If you have a Fuji and are happy with it.. More power to you..

Here are the parts he did not want to paste:

<<Unfortunately, the focus and shutter speed options are what I'd call "crippled". There's no indication of the current focus distance while using manual focus, and the useful center-frame enlargement feature is missing. While I love having full control over the shutter speed, the 3 sec limitation on the slow end puzzles me.

While I always like a large LCD display, the one on the E550 doesn't perform well in bright outdoor light and, more importantly, in low light. And in those low light situations the camera has great difficulty focusing. Image quality at the RAW and 12M settings isn't great -- soft and noisy -- and I saw some strange horizontal lines in a couple of my test photos. (That's why I recommend using the 6M setting.) Lastly, the inclusion of a tiny 16MB xD card is ridiculous.

I'm not entirely thrilled with the E550, but if you plan on taking shots in good light and understand that this is not a 12 Megapixel camera, then I'd recommend it. There are better choices out there if you do a lot of low light / long exposure shooting.>>
Old May 6, 2005, 12:53 PM   #9

this is from image resouring.com and while it has some points of the fuji it doesnt like, it is a VERY positive review. Of course i know the fuji has some issues, but so did my canons, especially my a85..my fuji kicks the butt of that camera. although i do find it very comparable to my a75...asfor the lcd, i had to shade my 75 in bright sunlight also....

With their 6.3 megapixel, 4x-zoom FinePix E550, Fujifilm has created what's to my mind one of their best digicams to date. Its color is very good, its resolution excellent, and noise levels at low ISOs are very low as well. (Kudos to Fuji for finally providing a low ISO setting on a SuperCCD camera.) The FinePix E550 is also fast, something to be admired in a digicam. Its lens comes out quickly, AF points are picked quickly, it switches between modes and menus with snap, and both shutter response and shot to shot speeds are quite fast. In addition to its other sterling qualities, the E550 is stingy with battery power, with a worst-case run time of just over three hours with the provided rechargeable NiMH batteries. From a usability standpoint, the E550 spans a range from rank beginner (in full Auto mode) to sophisticated photographer (in full manual exposure mode). This makes it a great choice for dual- or multiple-user households, and also a good choice for someone looking for a camera that's easy to use to get started but that has additional features to offer as you become more experienced. About the only complaints I have with the camera are limited low-light capability (its autofocus system doesn't handle after-dark conditions very well), and a little more distortion in the lens than I'd like to see. When you consider the aggressive price that Fuji's brought it to market though, the FinePix E550 is a nearly unbeatable bargain: There's nothing anywhere near its combination of resolution, features, and image quality for anywhere near its price. If you're looking for a good-performing, high-resolution all-around digicam, the E550 would make a great choice. - And it was an easy choice for me, to make it a "Dave's Pick."

well, enough said!!! All cameras have their good and bad, but i do love my fuji
jakoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 4:34 PM   #10

I still find it odd, that manufactures with the lowest market share continue to have the most rabid fans.