Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 15, 2005, 11:53 PM   #21

:blah: yes, someday I will discover it is late and time to sleep :blah:

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
what timing again Peter, we seem to always be answering at the same time.. :blah:

and usually with nearly the same answer
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 11:58 PM   #22
Super Moderator

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
:blah: yes, someday I will discover it is late and time to sleep :blah:

with the wealth of energy drinks on todays market, i feel that technology has rendered "sleep" a thing of the past... :blah::-)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 6:32 AM   #23
IPS

Hello,

How nice to see that people will share their knowledge without any personal profit ... so EVERYONE who has written previous answers thanks. (sorry for my use of english - not my main language)

I can't cope with yourtechnical description; perhaps you would accept to give very simple advices : I have a nikon F-601 (I know an antiquity:-) ) and would like to buy a digital camera: I am hesitating canon 350D or Nikon d50 orNikond70s

I like to do portraits and want to make basketball photos : what would be the most appropriate camera? Could I continue to use the old nikkor objectives (lenses?) 28-70 & 70-210 with a Nikon digital camera?

Thanks a lot
IPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 5:11 PM   #24

Hi All,

Just to let you all know I have placed the order for the Canon 20D with 17-85mm IS and 50mm f1.8 Lenses. Should be arriving today.

I also got a new Chevy Avalanche SUT and Lexus 330x special edition to go with it. . These arrived at my house before the camera got there.

I don't know what it is about cameras, but it give me comparable thrillto what I get from these above accessories:-).

Thanks all for your help in nailing this down. You will see me more in the forum as I begin my DSLR journey ( I hear its tough in the begining).

WannabePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 6:57 PM   #25
Super Moderator

congratulations, that is a wonderful combination.. you will be well served with it..

my advice to you to help ease the adjustment to dslrs is to read all you can.. buyyourself a few books and learn about depth of field, aperature and shutter speed tradeoff, and post processsing.. you will need to learn some post-processing techniques to make your photos appear as sharp as you would like.. photoshop elements is a good program to start with.. once again by yerself a nice book on it, i like scott kebly's photoshop elements 3.0 for digital photographers.. it is a nice reference with easy to follow pictures and text..

good luck friend, dustin
Old May 20, 2005, 7:43 PM   #26

Thanks Dustin.

I will order that book and the hood on Amazon tonight. Just an FYI . I already own photoshop 6.0 so should I just begin with this instead of the elements which I believe is a scaled down version. Or do you think it is a lot easier to pick up elements.

On the same note,the camera comes with elements 2.0, should I upgrade to 3.0? Is it better? what a dumb Q.It has to be if its the next ver, but just checking from a photgraphy perspective.

I am also thinking of getting the 20D book by Uwe due to be released in June. Are his books helpful ? they are advertized all over this site.

I also got 18 free classes from Wolf camera. You are right, I will have to read a lot but I am enjoying it.

I just hope my first pictures aren't shockingly horrible. I guess will go with Basic mode on day 1.

WannabePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 9:05 PM   #27
Super Moderator

1) if you already own photoshop 6.0, by all means learn that one, check out this title instead of the one i previously mentioned

Adobe Photoshop 6.0 for Photographers-
by Martin Evening

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&n=507846

2) i am sorry but i don't really know anything about the Uwe books that you mention, maybe someone else can speak to that

3) i would still start in the creative zone, just be aware that optimal results will be achieved after you have learned a little.. afterall, might as well be learning to do it right the first time..

enjoy, dustin