Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2005, 5:59 AM   #1

Please help me decide between Nikon 4600, 5900, or fuji E550, Or any other suggestions for novice going nuts trying to decide on first digcam purchase.
kindleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2005, 8:21 AM   #2

kindleon,

You really need to thin out the playing field a bit. Although you mentioned only three cameras, you are asking us to compare a 4 MP with a 5.1 MP with a 6.3 MP with optical zooms ranging from 3x to 4x, proprietary Lithium-Ion batteries vs. AA's, different media types, and MSRP's ranging from $199.99 to $399.99. There are probably at least 100 cameras that fall within that spec range (maybe a lot more).

Tell us what type of photography you'd like to get into...pictures of kids and family, mainly indoor, mainly outdoor, landscapes, scenery, wildlife, sports, etc. Do you plan on printing most of your pictures, or just looking at them on your computer and emailing them to friends. If you plan on making prints, do you expect to be making large prints, like 8x10 or larger, or just 4x6? Do you need a camera that is compact and can slip inside a shirt pocket, or doesn't that matter? Do you need a good macro ability for closeups? Is a good movie mode important to you? There are trade-offs for everything in digital photography...the megazoom cameras won't fit in your shirt pocket, and you can't buy a 12 MP camera for $100.

More information will help us eliminate most of the cameras that won't be of any use to you and your needs. Of course, then you will be back to having to make a choice between 3 cameras (LOL).

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 6:32 PM   #3

Thanks The Hun for getting me more organized in my thinking. I would like to have at least a 4mp, wider angle lens, good zoom, more than 4x if possible.Would be primarily used for family and pet photos inside. also, of importance is that it will also be used for eBayso a good macro would be a benefit'; however, I can use scanner for small objects I'm told. I will primarily use auto focus, but manual would be a plus for the future. Also, how much zoom should I go for? I would eventually like to photo birds, but this will be in the future. Perhaps I should worry about when the time comes? Maybe I am being too ambitious for a beginner as far as zoom. Any help you can give I say thanks?
Old May 9, 2005, 6:32 PM   #4

Thanks The Hun for getting me more organized in my thinking. I would like to have at least a 4mp, wider angle lens, good zoom, more than 4x if possible.Would be primarily used for family and pet photos inside. also, of importance is that it will also be used for eBayso a good macro would be a benefit'; however, I can use scanner for small objects I'm told. I will primarily use auto focus, but manual would be a plus for the future. Also, how much zoom should I go for? I would eventually like to photo birds, but this will be in the future. Perhaps I should worry about when the time comes? Maybe I am being too ambitious for a beginner as far as zoom. Any help you can give I say thanks?
Old May 9, 2005, 8:54 PM   #5

kindleon,

The nice thing about having a big zoom is that you don't have to use it...but it's nice to know it's there - especially when one of your fine feathered friends lands up in the top of that tree, and you can get a great pic out of it, instead of it looking like the dot on this i.

4 MP should be OK. An AF assist lamp would be nice to help focus in low light situations. A decent macro function - how small are the objects you're going to sell on ebay...do you need a microscope, or is a normal closeup OK? 10 - 12x zoom for the birds. If you go 12X, you'll need IS. You can live without it with a 10X.

Do you have a preference for power? - AA batteries or proprietary Lithium-Ion? Any preference for memory media? SD, CF, xD, memory stick? Do you have a price restriction? How about camera size...does it have to fit in your pocket?

You're getting there.

the Hun
Old May 10, 2005, 1:25 AM   #6

If so, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ4 fits the bill nicely.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 1:27 AM   #7

the Fz4 is onyl 25$ less than the fz5!

no point in buying the fz4.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 2:24 AM   #8

montana500 wrote:
Quote:
the Fz4 is onyl 25$ less than the fz5!

no point in buying the fz4.
Noise levels in the FZ4 are lower than in the FZ5. That's the point I actually wanted to make.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 3:21 AM   #9

Hey to The Hun. I still haven't purchased a camera yet. I have decided to forget the ultra zoom for now. So I need:

4 mp or better (what's confusing when trying to compare cameras is that 6 mp sometimes sells for 4 mp price.)

Good quaity indooor snapshots of family and pets. Yes, I think AF assist would be great.

Macro is important for online auction. Some jewelry, plates, cups.

AA batteries would be best, but won't rule out proprietary batteries.

At least 3x zoom

regarding memory media, what do you suggest?

I could go up to $300, but would prefer less.

I appreciate your good help as usual. I have been to Wolf and Ritz Camera stpres. I think they are one and the same. They push Nikon heavily and Nikon is all they recommended to me.

Old May 21, 2005, 7:35 AM   #10

kindleon,

As I was reading your needs, a lot of different camera models popped into my head...until I got to your last need...the $300 price barrier. However, all is not lost - there is a camera out there that should meet most of your needs...it has:

4 MP (without going into a lot of tech stuff, 6 MP isn't that much better than 4).

Good quality indoor pics w/AF assist.

A decent macro mode for the types of articles you described.

It uses four AA batteries (with excellent battery life using NiMH rechargables).

The zoom could be a problem...you need at least 3x, this one has 10x (would that be too much for you?)

It uses xD cards for memory (I can't recommend anything better or worse. They are a little more expensive than some, but I've never had a problem with one).

Pricewise, you should be able to pick one up for less than $250 (I believe there is a $50 rebate is still in effect, if you hurry).

The camera is a Fuji FinePix S5100.

Go to a store and pick one up and play with it. Does it feel comfortable in your hands? Read a couple of reviews. Look at some sample pics taken with one. Make a decision.

You will need to pick up a few accessories (as with any camera), such as: an additional memory card or two (at least one 256 MB card); a case; a NiMH battery charger and a couple sets of batteries; a UV filter and a lens cleaning kit (you can buy all of these things and still stay under your price barrier...well, close anyway).

Good luck.

the Hun