Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2005, 8:20 PM   #1

hello everyone, im looking for a new compact digitial camera which has some degree of manual controls for example, being able to change the iso setting for use at music concerts with no flash, it must be small enough to fit im my pocket or handbag, otherwise it will only get used on occasions, not for capturing those one off moments, im managed to narrow it down to the canon sd300 (or ixus 40) or the pentax s5n, however because the pentax is relatively new, im having difficulity finding reviews in order to make a decision, so if anyone knows anymore please could you give me some advice,

thanks, Elaine
ehmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2005, 11:11 PM   #2

The one place where people seem to be universally dissatisfied with their cameras performance must be at music concerts. What they find is that no amount of jiggling with the settings will produce a good shot. This is because there just isn't enough light to get a good exposure, especially when using the long end of the zoom. Most p&s digicams will only go to ISO400, which will give you a decent exposure at the wide end of the zoom, but the shutter speed of which will not be long enough reliably handhold, and will not freeze moving subjects.

The only small digicam that I can think of that mightstand a chance of providing a shutter speed long enough to handhold in those conditions would be the new one from Fuji. I keep forgetting the model #, but I think it is F10. This camera's ISO goes up to 1600, and I've read a review that stated that the performance at that ISO was quite good.

Unless the new Pentax has an ISO that goes up this high, neither of those two choices will make good shots at concerts. Otherwise, they should be fine for the average photographic situation....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 7:45 AM   #3

thanks for your advice, however i have presiously read a review of, and viewed pictures taken at a music concert with a canon sd300 using a his iso and no flash and the quality is very good.
ehmalone is offline   Reply With Quote