Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2005, 6:53 PM   #11
Super Moderator

you can buy the rebel xt with the 17-85 as a kit from bhphotovideo.com for 1399...

a cheaper alternative you should definately check into is buy it body only for 859 and pair it with a nice sigma 18-125 for 289.. this is simply a marvelous lens for the money, and is as sharp as many lenses costing several times over, and gives you a very useable zoom range.. imho, that outfit would be hard to beat for 1200... it would definatley give my 20d + 28-135 canon a run for its money for about 800 less....
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 7:20 PM   #12

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...00dlenses.html

Great info...do you agree with his choices?

I'm thinking of leaning towards the XT body with a good lens (EF 28-135 IS or the EF-S 17-85/4-5.6 or even Tamron 28-75/2.8).

I know this is going backwards but would other people recommend a D70 body with a cool new lens?
DReborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 8:28 PM   #13
Super Moderator

i think you will be well suited whichever of those lenses you choose to put on your rebel xt.. i can tell you from experience that if you can sacrifice a little on the wide end... the 28-135 is a wonderfully sharp lens that is a little cheaper than the 17-85.. and you have the option of using it on a 1d series later on if you ever get that serious...

i say pick one and get it ordered. you are wasting valuable shooting time =)

dustin
Old May 9, 2005, 8:41 PM   #14

Yeah, I was going back on forth on that one.

Exactly how much wide angle do I "lose" by going 28-135? I do like the zoom but since I am going to do mainly group, sports, and landscape shots. And as such, I was thinking the wide angle would come in handy.
Old May 9, 2005, 10:25 PM   #15
Super Moderator

at the wide angle, counting the 1.6x crop factor the 28-135 and also the tamron 28-75 will be equivelent to approx 45mm... whereas with the 17-85 will be equivelent to approx 28mm.. so you just have to ask yourself how wide you need to go.. or get the 28-135 and pick up a superwide 12-24 or something down the road if you find you need it.. all good options.. either way you go, you will be well served..

for the majority of your groups and landscapes the 45 will be sufficient, but there are times especially with indoor architecture, etc, that the extra wide will be helpful.. but you just have to weigh which is more important having the extra at the wide angle on the 17-85 vs the extra zoom range of the 28-135..

sorry, not many clear cut answers here, it really is specific to the individual...
Old May 9, 2005, 11:17 PM   #16

Hards...that was extremely helpful, thanks. =)

I guess I am trying to think of when I would need the extra zoom? Maybe at a sports game or something like that but the majority of the time I don't see needing it. Anyway someone could tell me when they would need to use a 28-135 lens vs. the 17-85?

I was just thinking that with indoor shoots, in close spaces, it would be important to try and get as much "action" into the shot as possible.

Is there anyway to compare the 17-85 and 28-135 to a normal point and shoot digital? As in, how much wider is the 17-85 than the normal p&s and how much "narrower" is the 28-135?

Lastly, on a random question, why is the 17-85 so much more expensive than the 28-135? More expensive to make wide angle lenses?

Thanks to everybody who has helped me with this...I am buying it tomorrow, we just have to decide on which lens! =)
Old May 9, 2005, 11:20 PM   #17

Also, I will be buying the small, cheap but cool: EF 50/1.8 II lens as well. Just to tell you all. =)

Lastly, the 17-85 is probably going to be the one lens I get for quite sometime so that's why I thought it would be worth it to go for the 17-85. It'll last, right? Survive a body upgrade or two, or three? =)
Old May 10, 2005, 12:13 AM   #18
Super Moderator

alot of p&s zooms go from around 38-120mm equivelent...

the 17-85 is equivelent to 28-135mm

the 28-135 is equivelent to 45-216mm

both lenses are very similar in quality of build and in sharpness.. the 17-85 may be a bit sharper, but its very negligeable.. the 17-85 has a newer image stabilizing system which may account for part of the price difference.. really, there is very little difference other than the zoom range of these two lenses, so pick the one that best suites your needs.. it sounds like you may need a little more on the wide angle if you are doing alot of indoor work at close spaces, the 17-85 may be a bit better fit for you...

either way you go, tomorrow should be a very fun day for you, and a start what i hope leads to many days of enjoyment with your new camera... plz post us some pics in the future, i really enjoy the weekly photo challenge forumn, itsa fun way show off some pictures and gives you a little "assignment" every other week..

g'luck, dustin
Old May 10, 2005, 12:21 AM   #19

Absolutely, I can't wait to start playing and learning!

Speaking of which, I was interested in taking a class or a photo learning expedition. =) Like a 2-3 day Rebel XT trip somewhere where a master can teach me all the fun tricks.

LAST QUESTION (it's a good one and since I cannot buy it till tomorrow anyways...): if the 17-85 and the 28-135 were the EXACT SAME PRICE...which one would you get? If this was your ONE lens to have for a number of years...which would you buy?

And then I am done and will just play the waiting game. =)

For everybody's amusement, someone is selling a Black Rebel XT body (refurb) for $400. Ha. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...058690-9536853
Old May 10, 2005, 1:11 AM   #20
Super Moderator

check out your local community college or camera clubs, they often have some weekend courses on digital photography that could be beneficial, as well as some full semester night classes that could really help you along the way..

if i were to have my choice, i would stick with my 28-135, based simply on the fact that if, or when, i decide to go full frame (as in 1ds mkII) in the future, i can still use this lens.. and the fact that for most of my work, i use the tele end more often than the wide end.. but that is just me.. and you may use the wide end more if you are doing close-quarters indoor work..

how about this.. tell the clerk to get both lenses out for you, and then try them both out, see which seems like a better range for you, and which one you like better... then pick that one...

and do try to get some sleep tonite... tomorrow will come quicker..... hehe

dustin