Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2005, 1:45 AM   #21

haha, how can I sleep?? Good point on the lenses...now I just have to find a camera store nearby that would carry both of them AND the XT. Wish I was back in Los Angeles..a store every block.

Good thoughts on the community college front. I was thinking of something a little "fancier?" My aunt wants to get me a nice graduation gift to go alone with the hot new camera so I thought a fun photo experience would fit the bill.

Also, and I don't mean to intrude, but how do you use your camera? For work, pleasure? Just curious what you use that zoom for. =)

Also, you mentioned something about using the 28-135 for something down the road...? What will that one be compatible with over the 17-85? Will this glass narrow my next body choices?
DReborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 10:08 AM   #22
Super Moderator

i use my camera for mostly for my own enjoyment.. it is not my main career.. but i doa fair amount of paid workon the side.. mostly event stuff, covering some graduations, parties, some portrait work.. mostly through word of mouth and for and within the university here... so for what i do, the 28-135 is perfect, as its wide enough for most group/small group photos, but zooms in very nice for candids, is a great outdoor available light portrait lens, etc...and if i need to go wider, or need more tele, i have some other lenses too, but the 28-135 stays on about 90 percent of the time...

the 17-85 is limited to use on the canon camera's that have an ef-s mount.. right now that is the rebel,rebel xt, and the 20d.. and canon has said that it is here to stay on their consumer line, so any camera that is an upgrade to those models.. it is not however compatible with the professional line, so like the 1d/1ds series.. if i continue to do more paid work, its nice to know that i can take my 28-135 over to that series... but for most ppl, the price of these cameras prohibits using them unless you are getting paid to take pictures..

p.s. good call on the 50 1.8, very handy lens to have, and can't beat the price..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 10:29 AM   #23

Thanks again Hands...good stuff. I can see how the 28-135 lens comes in handy for you (plus you have a wide angle if you ever need it). I knew going into it that there is not "one ultimat lens" that does everything perfectly but I think the 17-85 will work the best for me.

That said, if it wasn't a gift and I had to pay for it...I'd probably save those $200 in a second and get the 28-125 or maybe even spend the $200 and get the 28-125 and nice Sigma or Tamaron lens.

I know this isn't the right forum but, do you think a 1gb card will just get eaten up too quickly or will it suffice? I just don't want to have to upload my photos every day...

Lastly, what about a flash? any 100-150 dollar recommendations (don't need a canon flash)?
DReborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 10:38 AM   #24
Super Moderator

check out my replies to your questionsunder the memory and the flash forumns.. i just answered them both... :G
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote