Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 8, 2005, 12:31 PM   #1

OK, I want to get a dSLR for graduation. Always wanted one cause I love to take pics of sports, my dogs (they are fast), nice group events (parties, weddings, etc) and landscape. I have a nice digital p&s. Now I want a serious camera. =)

I don't the bigger size of the nikon, personally I think I like the heavier, sturdier feel of it but it's not a big deal either way.

I don't really care about the extra 2mp of the canon but it is always nice to have.

I like the larger screen on Nikon but I don't like that it is #200 more expensive.

Help!! =)

DReborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2005, 5:58 PM   #2

any ideas to help me choose? I am leaning towards the Nikon probably due to it's better kit lens...
Old May 9, 2005, 11:12 AM   #3

Any advice pushing me either way? I really am somewhat angry that the d70s is a complete marketing ploy to slow down the XT. It's smart but it's annoying.

I know they both are awesome cameras so I can't go WRONG with either...just wanted to hear some opinions for my first dSLR!
Old May 9, 2005, 1:34 PM   #4

Hi. I had the same dilemma, though it was between the D70 and XT.

I went with the D70 for a couple of reasons:
1. The XT was not out yet and I had to chose a camera before the end of March (budget). As the camera was an essential part of my job, I couldn't wait for the XT or its reviews - selling a camera that wasn't out yet to the bosses would have been hard
2. Overall fantastic reviews for D70 and the better lens included with it. (I don't imagine I'll ever get the money to get another lens.)

I do not regret my decision at all. The D70 is a great camera. I like the way it felt in my hands better than the Canon or other intro dSLRs, the photos are awesome, the battery lasts forever, and it starts instantly. However, I have no doubt that the XT does the same. Choosing between these two cameras is a great position to be in.

My only regret is that the D70 (or the D70s) is not 8MP. I run my pics at 300 dpi so it does make a difference. If you don't, then who cares about MP.

Anyway, I've included a link to Ken Rockwell's site and his thoughts on the D70s.Check out his D70 review, too.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70s.htm

Like I said, though, you're in a great position and neither choice will be wrong. Try them both and then see what feels better. Good luck. I'm sure you'll get a Canon lover to respond with a post that is the opposite of mine very soon.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 1:52 PM   #5

Patton thanks for the reply!

I personally think it's a good sign that we have die hard fans on both sides--means that both camera's are great. At least in my logic. =)

What if I got the canon XT body but then a better lens? Would it top the D70s kit?

Any recommendations on a new "universal" lens for the Canon? something that I could use for AWHILE for basic group, action, sports shots?

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2005, 2:08 PM   #6

Both are good camera systems.

If I was presented with a choice, I would pick Digital Rebel XT. Do not buy the kit lens. Instead buy the EF-S 17-85IS it rivals the quality of "L" glass.

I was presented with somewhat of a similar choice awhile back. I ended up with a Canon EOS 20D and I tried out the 17-40L and the 17-85IS and I went with the 17-85IS.

The lens is sexy as hell!
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 5:06 PM   #7

I should have guessed Ponin would reply.

Well, Ponin, now you know what I ended up with...I couldn't wait for the XT. Part of the reason was also that I could not get the lens you recommended. Money was too tight.

DReborn, there are other threads where the two cameras are compared. Check both the Canon DSLR and Nikon DSLR forums. Some of your questions will surely be answered.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 5:14 PM   #8

Both cameras will provide you with an opportunity to caputre great photos. Your real cost will be in the purchase of more lens. Which lens system do you like? I like the Canon lens system and therefore I own a Canon DSLR (20D)
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 5:38 PM   #9

Patton wrote:
Quote:
I should have guessed Ponin would reply.

Well, Ponin, now you know what I ended up with...I couldn't wait for the XT. Part of the reason was also that I could not get the lens you recommended. Money was too tight.

DReborn, there are other threads where the two cameras are compared. Check both the Canon DSLR and Nikon DSLR forums. Some of your questions will surely be answered.
That's too bad really. If you had gone with the XT, I would have bought an XT as well and used the difference between the XT and the 20D to buy the "L" replica EF-S 17-85 IS lens for you. The store won't accept any returns now. :sad:
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 6:39 PM   #10

Where could I find the EF-S 17-85IS? And how much does it run for?

Also, I have checked extensively in the different forums but obviously they are canon biased in the canon forum and the same goes for the nikon. I thought this would be the best forum where people are in the same situation as I am.

Thanks again for everybody's advice!