Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 8, 2005, 4:56 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3
Default

I have an older camera, the Fuji 4900Z. I really have loved the pictures it produced. The colors were awesome, it did a fantastic job. But, it needs more memory (mega-expensive for the SmartMedia) and the rechargeable battery is pretty much dead.

I don't carry it anymore even to take a few pictures because of it's size..

Since I'd have to put money into it for battery/memory and it's not small, I think I should replace it....and smaller would be much nicer :-)

I am considering the Canon SD500 and the Fuji E550. (I'm also open to other suggestions). Do I need the extra megapixel from the SD500? I like that it gives me more options to blow up pictures if I want to (but would rarely do so) - but does that extra m-pixel really make adifference? Also, do the pictures look comparable quality-wise and color-wise?

I did love my Fuji, but I've heard great things about the SD500. Oh, I will mainly be taking pictures of my children, dogs (and foster dogs for Petfinder), vacations, field trips, etc... I want GREAT pictures so I'm willing to spend the extra on the SD500 if it's worth it. I certainly want to print out the pictures on paper.

So, I defer to you, the experienced and helpful people of the forums. I would really appreciate your input. :bye:
michelleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2005, 5:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 440
Default

michelleg wrote:
Quote:
Since I'd have to put money into it for battery/memory and it's not small, I think I should replace it....and smaller would be much nicer
Quote:
How small? Are we talking deck of cards small, or perhaps something that will easily fit into a purse or belt case?
Quote:
I am considering the Canon SD500 and the Fuji E550. (I'm also open to other suggestions). Do I need the extra megapixel from the SD500?
Quote:
In general, I would not make a purchase decision based on the presence or lack of just one megapixel.
Quote:
Also, do the pictures look comparable quality-wise and color-wise?
Quote:
The reviews for these cameras have sample pictures, so that you can decide for yourself. There are also a few other digicam sites that have sample pics as well.
Quote:
I want GREAT pictures so I'm willing to spend the extra on the SD500 if it's worth it.
Quote:
You can spend less money and get pics just as good, if not better.For example, aCanon A95 will give you better pics, and cost slightly over half what an SD500 would.
Any digicam can do what you are wanting. If you would like a few specific suggestions, you should state how many megapixels you actually need, and whether you want sub-compact (think shirtpocket-sized)or compact (pants pocket-sized). The SD500 would be a great camera, but no sense paying the extra premium for it's small form factor if you don't actually need a camera that small.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 6:00 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3
Default

PhilR. wrote:
Quote:
michelleg wrote:
Quote:
How small? Are we talking deck of cards small, or perhaps something that will easily fit into a purse or belt case?
Quote:
Well, they both were nicely sized (both are much smaller than my 4900Z). It doesn't have to be Sony Slim, just something I could keep in my purse or a small pouch. Anything seems smaller to my old one - hehe.
Quote:
The reviews for these cameras have sample pictures, so that you can decide for yourself. There are also a few other digicam sites that have sample pics as well.
Quote:
I had a hard time telling which pictures I thought were better. Maybe it's just my monitor...
Quote:
You can spend less money and get pics just as good, if not better.For example, aCanon A95 will give you better pics, and cost slightly over half what an SD500 would.
Quote:
Any digicam can do what you are wanting. If you would like a few specific suggestions, you should state how many megapixels you actually need, and whether you want sub-compact (think shirtpocket-sized)or compact (pants pocket-sized). The SD500 would be a great camera, but no sense paying the extra premium for it's small form factor if you don't actually need a camera that small.

PhilR.
Quote:
I have not looked into the Canon A95. I will check it out. Whew, the options are overwhelming. I know that eventually, I'll buy a nice SLR when I have the time to enjoy it, but until then, I still want cool pictures but in a smaller package. Thank you, fellow Texan. I know, also, that I need to take into consideration the cost of memory and batteries....
Quote:
Michelle
michelleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 6:55 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 440
Default

michelleg wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I had a hard time telling which pictures I thought were better. Maybe it's just my monitor...
Quote:
Or - it's possible that there really isn't much difference between the two.
Quote:
I have not looked into the Canon A95. I will check it out. Whew, the options are overwhelming. Michelle
I would agree - there are so many digicam models out there, and most perform quite well. The nice thing is that you can find a good model in just about any given price range. Don't sweat the decision about which one to purchase - again, any of the decent ones will photograph the things you list.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 7:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 978
Default

Although I have not owned a Fuji FinePix E550, I was impressed by its pictures at various review sites. I did own the S7000 and liked it. One of the criticisms of the S7000 was its lack of lower ISO settings - nothing below ISO 200. However, the E550 has those settings and to me, its top quality pictures look better than the S7000's in Steve's Review's sample pictures - less noise.

The major criticisms of the E550 seem to be its use of xD memory cards, lack of control of compression ratio at anything less than 12 megapixel resolution (which is interpolated), and occasional (for some users)zoom error message. However, given its price, it seems like a good deal to me. I also like its relatively wide 32.5 mm wide angle setting and 4X optical zoom.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 10:26 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3
Default

OK. I did it. I replaced my Fuji 4900Z. After much soul searching, the cameras which I thought might be good replacements really wouldn't have made me happy. I loved my old 6x Optical zoom, the ability to manually focus when needed...and, well, darn it, I just wanted the best doggoned camera I could find for a "good" price....

So, I bit the bullet and picked up the Canon Rebel XT...(good deal at buydig.comat $865 for the kit)...I can now use the Canon flash I already had (420EX) and the Canon lens I have from my film camera.

I'm in love :?. I think if I could marry my camera, I'd just have to do it. (Yes, I sound like my 7 year old!) I've never gotten so much out of a relationship. It really takes care of me, itresponds so quickly to my needs and wants! Wow Sigh................

Thanks for everyones advice...I hope to really be able to grow with this new baby!

Michelle
michelleg is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:37 PM.