Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 8, 2005, 10:25 PM   #1

I am ready to buy a digital camera to replace my fuji s5100. I was dissatisfied with it's low-light performance and noise levels. Noise is my biggest concern. I will be using the camera for family pictures and the occasional nature photo. I would like to be able to print 8x10 pictures. I'm not too concerned with zoom. I would basically like someone to tell me which camera in my price range has the least amount of noise and hopefully low red-eye occurrence.
jchildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 6:03 PM   #2

Anyone?
Old May 15, 2005, 7:58 PM   #3

The Canon A95 is known for great picture quality, at least at ISO 50. Red-eye unfortunately will always be an issue if you don't use an external flash (I'm surprised that was a big issue with your S5100 which features a pop-up flash).

You should also be on the lookout for the new Fuji F10, which seems to be great at low noise and has usable ISO up to 400 or 800, making it a good choice for low-light pictures. There should be more reviews coming out soon (there's one up at dpreview.com already). Again, I doubt that red-eye will be better than with your S5100. However, both cameras should be loads better in the noise department.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 8:01 PM   #4

What makes the Fuji F10 better than the Fuji E550 ?
Old May 16, 2005, 7:21 AM   #5

Are you using that S5100 right? I never noted alot of redeye, ornoise,(even at ISO 400), compared to my Canon A40 where the flash is close to the lens (now that hasredeye in almost every flash pic!) and visible noise starting at ISO200. You can't expect to take indoor pics without somenoise on any camera,unless you use flash. The exception to this rule, maybe the Fugi F10 with it's generous available1600 ISO
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 2:38 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions. I picked up a Fuji F10 today for $309. My first impressions are that I got a great deal. Low light pictures at ISO 400 are very useable. This is just what the doctor ordered for me. I'm not a fan of using the flash and with this little gem, I won't need to very often.
Old May 16, 2005, 9:04 PM   #7

jchildr-

Well, congratulations! I also own an EOS 20D and I have a Fuji 10 on order. Perhaps I am indeed, going backward, but the F-10 interests me a lot. From the sample photos that I have seen on dpreview, the photos are amazing.

It may indeed be the forerunner of a whole new generation of digital point and shoot digital cameras that can use much higher ISO settings and produce digital photos with much less noise.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote