Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2005, 12:43 PM   #11

The Olympus Camedia C-765 Ultra Zoom only has 4 MP and no IS.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 2:05 PM   #12

So i guess the LZ would be a good alternative to the T1, any comparisons out there?
qwik3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 11:56 PM   #13

Anyone see the up and coming DMC-FX8? Looks good, wish it had more of a zoom, how do you guys think it will stack up against the T1? It has "mega OIS" 3x optical zoom and is a 5mp camera, looks to be a bit thicker than the T1. I am hearing rave reviews on this image stabilizaiton feature but i'm wondering if i should bother going to a camera that has the same optical zoom. I am leaning towards the lz2.
Old May 13, 2005, 1:39 PM   #14

ttt
Old May 13, 2005, 2:05 PM   #15
Super Moderator

what is happening is that your camera is picking slower shutter speeds for whatever reason, it is nothing to do with the resolution of a 5mp camera.. you can tell from these pictures.. that is not normal for this camera, it is a quite capable camera as steves and others review attest to.. there could be something wrong with the metering in your camera and may require a trip to sony.. here is my analysis of the pictures..

1) too slow of shutter speed- it is motion blur of that guys face, he must have been turning his head, as the blond hair lady is in focus fine..

2) out of focus, it appears your camera locked onto the piece of shirt sleeve in the extreme left hand as it appears to be in focus..

3) too slow of shutter speed- you can tell because the guy in front is moving his head, you can see the motion and the endpoints of his turning... the streaks of light in lower left hand corner are also tell tale signs..

bottom line is i dont want you to have to spend more of your money on a new camera when it appears you just have a "lemon" and can be easily fixed under warranty without spending the $$
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 3:36 PM   #16

Well, the problem stems from the low-light (coupled with the T1's slow lens).

The first picture actually looks fine, it focused on the blond woman, and the guy next to her moved.

In the other two pictures the shutter speed (1/8s at 20mm/114mm 35mm equivalent) is too slow for such a long focal length, so camera shake was the likely culprit (they look like it, too).

Having said that, based on reviews I would expect this camera to be a piece of crap, so getting a different one wouldn't be a bad idea.

Btw, if you get a camera with more zoom, you will most likely have a lot more pictures with camera shake issues, just fyi.

Also, the F717 has "5x" zoom. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to learn the camera functions better first, and if that didn't work out, but I really wanted a tiny camera, I'd take a look at the Fx7/8, as camera shake seems to be an issue here.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote