Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2005, 12:16 AM   #1

I currently have the sony dscT1 and i HATE IT. Its mean't to stay in the car where i can just grab it when i see something i want to shoot. For instance traveling in the broadway district of NY i happened upon denzel washington coming out of his new play "julius cesar" when i reached for the digital and snapped up a bunch of shots which came out like crap on the fully zoomed mode. I get nothing but bad pics from this camera, can someone recommend a compact digital that is 5-7mp that takes better quality shots than the t1? Also something with a good zoom. Thanks.

http://www.firebirdomain.com/d1.jpg

http://www.firebirdomain.com/d2.jpg

http://www.firebirdomain.com/d3.jpg

qwik3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2005, 3:20 AM   #2

Zooming in 12x, comparably small (to other superzoom cams), with IS, 5 MP - the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 8:17 AM   #3

nice camera, alittle on the big side and comparably the nikon coolpix 7900 7.1mp is around the same price and smaller. I do want a good zoom though but if i was going to go with something that big i would just lug around my canon g6 which looks to be around the same size.

ttt
Old May 9, 2005, 11:25 AM   #4

The Nikon Coolpix 7900 only has 3x opt. Zoom.

By "good zoom" I thought you meant "superzoom".

If you want a nice little cam with 3x zoom - take a look at the Canon Ixus 50 (5 MP), the Casio Exilim Z750 (7 MP).

A good compromise in size and features between the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 and the above-mentioned smaller cams might be the brandnew Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2: 5 MP, 6x opt. Zoom, IS. Size: 100 mm x 64 mm x 33 mm

Old May 9, 2005, 12:19 PM   #5

Canon A510 and A520 (3.2 & 4 mp respectively)both have 4x zoom. My daughter just purchased the A510 and it takes great pictures. It has alot of good manual modes and is relatively small. Good mix of a "spur of the moment" type camera as well as having a few more features than most. It can be had for about $175 USD plus shipping. It may not have as many mp as your looking for but I recently reprinted an 8x10of a picture she tookand it looked pretty darn good, no noiticable pixelation. It's also light because it takes only 2 AA batteries.

Ted
TBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 4:50 PM   #6

See with the T1 when i zoom in somewhat close i always get a horrible blurry picture, no matter what, is it because the zoom is enclosed within the camera and its not as good? I'm just looking for a camera smaller than my G6, with a decent zoom and MP that when i do zoom in I can get a decent non blurry picture.
Old May 9, 2005, 7:06 PM   #7

Hi: for a very small compact digicam with a large zoom capability (10x), try out the Olympus C765 or the slightly larger, but still compact, Fuji S5100. Both are good cameras. Either would store easily inyour car, and are easy to use, withexcellent photos. The Panasonic is also a good camera, but it islarger and heavier than the Oly, and it is somewhat more expensive than eitherthe Fuji or Oly.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 7:10 PM   #8
Super Moderator

i just looked at your pictures... btw, what mode are you shooting in? automatic, shutter priority, or what?

that is motion and camera shake blur from using too slow of shutter speed.. that is not the fault of the camera.. so get in closer and use your flash.. or you will need more available light so your camera chooses a faster shutter speed..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 1:08 AM   #9

I read Steve's brandnew reviews of the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ1 and DMC-LZ2.

What happened to Panasonic? Even at ISO64 (LZ1) and ISO80 (LZ2) both cams do have noise problems.

I'm confused: Looks like Fuji gets noise under control in the Fuji F10 (manual not automatic mode!) - read the review at digitalcamerainfo.com - even at ISO1600 quite usable pics and virtually noise-free ones at ISO400.
Brandnew review done by dpreview.com

The F10 is innovative!
Old May 10, 2005, 12:16 PM   #10

I had the camera on auto mode with no other settings, i may not have hands of
steel but come on. It was light out and even if i did change the ISO
settings i think it still wouldn't have came out as sharp. For a 5mp
camera sony did a horrible job IMO. Even in super bright light, low light
etc I get "ok" pictures. The only redeeming quailty of this damn thing
is its size. I would like to stay within the sleek range of cameras
maybe the Casio's are better? I think i may need to look into DSLR or something.
I have the F717 and the G6 and surprisingly both don't have better than 4x optical zoom.
I would think that the F717 would have a better zoom considering its hugh lense.
The DMC-FZ5 looks good with the 12x optical but its only 5mp ( and looks to be almost
as big as my G6, whereas my G6 only has 4x zoom and 7.1mp go figure heh. I am interested in some more personal feed back on the
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 because it looks to be only slightly larger than the T1 is 5mp
and has 6x zoom with Image Stabilization.

Steve - how is the Olympus C765, 10x optical zoom sounds good but i'm
worried about the 5mp quality, don't hear too much about Olympus

Some more feedback would be great, thanks thus far guys for your help.