Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2005, 10:06 AM   #1

I am considering taking the plunge and joining the digital age. I currently use a Nikkormat FT3 and a Yashica T4 Super. I like the photo quality I get with these two cameras. Some of the photos I have seen from friends cameras just aren'tthat great. I guess that is why I have held off going digital. The new camera will mostly be used for travel photos and family holidays. I have no loyalty to brands. Any advice on what would suit my needs would be greatly appreciated.
seusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2005, 2:14 PM   #2

It would be impossible for anyone to say what would fit your needs, as you have not let us know what your needs are. Yes, you did state what you want to photograph, but any camera that works can taketravel and family pictures. How big a print will you be making? That determines how many megapixels you need. How much zoom, if any, do you want? Do you want sub-compact (think shirt pocket-sized), compact (pants pocket-sized) medium, or perhaps SlR-sized? Do you want manual controls (I'll bet that you do), or not? Not all digicams have them, but then again not everyone wants them. Do you have any preference of memory or battery type?

You're probably starting toget the picture....

PhilR.

p.s. -- poor digital pictures are much more likely to be due to inadequate knowledge/technique, rather than fault of the camera....
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 3:54 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. Sorry that I didn't provide enough information. On rare occasions I would make enlargements up to 8x10. But most of the time it would be 5x7 or smaller. Yes, I want zoom. We like to travel in the mountain west and often wish to photograph wildlife in the distance.The size of the camerais not that important to me.I am used to hauling mySLR and lenses around.The quality of photos is much more important. Yes, I would like manual controls so that I can tweak the picture like I want it. I have read someabout the Canon G6. Not sure if this is what I might want or if I want to go the SLR route. Any advice from those with experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 9, 2005, 6:58 PM   #4

Your needs can be met by 3.2mp's, although going up to 4 or 5 will give you bit more flexibility to crop images.

While the G6 is an excellent camera (one of the best, IMHO), it is a bit weak in the zoom dept.. I was also looking at the flexibility that a long zoom gives, and I would have to say that the first place to start reading would be the reviews for the Panasonic line of 12x zoom cams that also incorporate image stabilization (IS). The neat thing about these is that some of them have zoom lenses that maintain a constant f/2.8 across the entire zoom range. Look at the FZ3, 4, and 5 if you want a smaller size, or look at the FZ15 or 20 if you want a larger sized camera that incorporates manual focus via lens barrel and hotshoe. Personally, I did not care for the larger sized 15 and 20, and went with the FZ3. After all, what's the use of getting another large camera when you already have one?

Keep in mind that theimage qualityof the fixed-lens p&s's will not be as good as that ofa dslr. If image quality is truely a big issue, then you might only be satisfied with a dslr. With the p&s cameras, you trade image quality for convenience, size, and price. You also trade image quality for zoom as well. IOW, the G6 will give you a better image than an FZ20, but you won't have the capability that a 12x zoom gives.

There are lots of other mega-zoom cameras as well, some with IS, most not. The range goes from a 10x Minolta for $169, to an 8mp/10xw/IS Nikon for $700. Decide what is more important for you, then use the buyer's guide to narrow down the playing field a bit....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 7:06 PM   #5
Super Moderator

yup, philr has pretty much covered it..

i just wanted to add that the new crop of dslrs are getting smaller and smaller.. and i dont think you would have any trouble lugging them around.. i just think the image quality and the future upgradeability really make a strong argument for the purchase of a dslr for yourself, especially considering your familiarity with slrs..

here area few to check into that arent a ton of money more than a good p&s and are all very portable..

canon rebel xt/350d

pentax *ds

forthcoming nikon d50

so take a look into them, plus the models mentioned by philr and let us know if you have any further questions...

enjoy, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 10:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. It gives me some ideas of where I need to be looking. I am sure that I will have questions later. Nice to know I can getanswers here.