Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2005, 9:36 AM   #1

I have narrowed my choice to the Sony P100 and the PSC 93. These cameras seem very similar. The differences in favor of the P100 seem to be a metal body and the named lens. However, it uses a proprietary lithium ion battery. As I understand it the P93 has an all plastic body but uses the much more common NiMh batteries and alkalines in a pinch. Lens tests seem to indicate no real difference.

Because of the batteries I am leaning toward the P93 unless there is something I am missing. For example, is the metal body that important.

The prices of these two cameras are very similar.

randyk@astate.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2005, 1:25 PM   #2

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
For example, is the metal body that important.

Not really. If you drop it, it will still transfer the impact energy to the insides, possibly moreso than a plastic one. Since there won't be any more impact-absorbing material in the metal one, the likelyhood of internal damage remains the same.

A metal bodymight withstand crush forces better (slightly), but that would be a rare situation indeed.

The only time I could see a metal body being better is if you suffer an impact energy that is exactly between what it would take to crack a plastic case, and what it would take to cause internal damage to either. If one could guarantee that all your impacts would be at exactly this level, then it would be worth it to spend extra for a metal body. Of course, real life isn't like that, which is why there really isn't any practical advantage of metal over plastic for this type of commodity.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 1:34 PM   #3

heh, i own the P93 and definetely can't say a bad word about it...i think that these two cameras make NO difference at all, even Zeiss lens aren't THAT important - there's a really, really, really, really SLIGHT difference between P93 and P100 (i compared images @ imaging-resource) and it's hardly noticeable

however, this camera is now discontinued, and you may have a problem with getting it - also, with getting any support from sony - don't forget that if you'll be willing to sell it, you're definetely NOT going to get a bunch of money for it

so i'd take the P100 (if the P93 was still current, i'd take P93)
XAVeRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 1:56 PM   #4

I am a P93 user. The most important problem i can tell about this camera is that it produces undersaturated colors.This make pictures look more realistic, but to me it is very bad because they come out with pale colors.

I don't know how saturated P100's colors are but you can search imatest results for these cameras if you are interested in this issue. I think imaging-resource.com posts that kind of information.
tanaltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 6:05 PM   #5

tanaltan wrote:
Quote:
I am a P93 user. The most important problem i can tell about this camera is that it produces undersaturated colors.This make pictures look more realistic, but to me it is very bad because they come out with pale colors.

I don't know how saturated P100's colors are but you can search imatest results for these cameras if you are interested in this issue. I think imaging-resource.com posts that kind of information.
By any chance, have you tried to manipulate the colors with software?

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 12:01 AM   #6

Yes when I increase the saturation in PhotoShop the images become much more beautiful. But i don't like postprocessing, i want my photos to be ready just in my camera. Post processing makes me feel doing something unfair to images.

The solution I mostly prefer is using the camera in "P" mode instead of Auto. Because in P mode there is the chance to increase the saturation level to '+'. That cures the paleness a litte bit.

But most of the time the camera selects slower shutters in P mode than Auto mode. It can set the shuter speed down to 1/8 sec.s in Auto mode but in P mode it can go until 1 full second which also switches the automatic noise reduction on.

So sometimes I need to use flash or tripod (if it's around). Or I switch to the "M" mode if my subject is waiting for me to do the proper adjustments

For me it is ok, I know my camera and it's limitations and Itake thebest out of it, but when someone has to picture me with my camera it becomes a real pain for me. Either I don't want he/she to use the auto mode, or I can't explain how to use M mode in such a few seconds
tanaltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 8:32 AM   #7

Metal body is pretty good. If you crushthe 100 with weight it could withstand more than the 93 could. It could be that the body withstandsmore for the sakeof button alignment to the inside, like tv control buttons that wearout, but camera buttons so havelittle wear at the most.

The 93 is good if you love AA batteries in everythingor buy batteries in bulk.
qball is offline   Reply With Quote