Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2005, 8:57 PM   #1

I'm looking for a digital camera for horse and dog photography (polo, jumping,etc) and wildlife. I consider myself an experienced duffer - I've progressed from a Nikon FG to a Nikon AF N6006 and a Nikon Coolpix 800 - yes, I tend to be an early adopter, paid WAY too much for the Coolpix and then discovered the terrible lag when shooting. My first shots with that one included a lot of the tip of the dog's tail as he raced past. I've gotten better at anticipating where the animal is going to be when the camera finally reacts, but I'd really, really like a digital camera that will work WITH me the way the N6006 does.

So, here I am considering the Nikon D70 or D50 - I'll need to use a telephoto lense, I can handle the post processing, but before I buy one more camera, I'd like some reassurance that it will be fast enough to suit my needs.

Thanks for your help!
welshcob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2005, 12:18 AM   #2
Super Moderator

either one is more than fast enough to suite your needs... so be reassured... right now they are running some specials on the d70 with the imminent release of the d50 and d70s, so now might be a good time to pick one up.. plus they are offereing a firmware upgrade that gives the older d70 many of the upgrades found on the d70s..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 6:35 AM   #3

Thanks for enabling me. <G> Its been hard to separate fact from rumor regarding the D70s vs the firmware upgrade to the D70 - if the firmware upgrade does in fact make the D70 functionally equivalent to the D70s (focusing speed in particular) then it could be a bargain. Now to dig into image stabilizing lenses.....
Old May 10, 2005, 7:21 AM   #4

ive got the Canon 300d and when photographing action, there is a touch of lag. Ive learnt to live with it but at times it can be a bit frustrating.

The Canon 20d has almost elimated all shutterlag and i find it great for action photography.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 9:12 AM   #5

like ma pic of a horse?
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 10:16 AM   #6
Super Moderator

before you decide you NEED an image stabilized lens.. do take a look at http://www.sigma-photo.com..

their 100-300 f4.0 ex dg, and their 120-300 f2.8 ex dg are two of the sharpest 300 mm zoom lenses made.. and the 100-300 f4.0 is a bargain!!! you would be much better off with one of these compared to a consumer grade zoom with image stab.. also could consider their 70-200 f2.8 with a 1.4x tc making it 98-280 f4.0.. would be slightly more than the 100-300 f4.0 but would give you a nice 70-200 at 2.8 for when you don't need quite the reach.. both excellent ways to go...

if you decide you need image stabilization, their 80-400 4.5-5.6 ex os is worth looking into as it as well is a very sharp piece of glass..but the focusing will be slower as it does not have HSM..
Old May 10, 2005, 4:10 PM   #7

Great shot! That's the photo you get just before he snorts and blows unmentionable fluids all over your lense. I love the eyes - the closest a horse cancome to looking cross-eyed.
Old May 10, 2005, 5:21 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Here's the info for the firmware upgrade.. looks like a d70 could be a nice value if you can live without a larger lcd screen...
The firmware update includes the following additions and refinements:
  • Improved performance for the 5-area autofocus system's Dynamic Area AF and Closest Subject Priority Dynamic Area AF modes. [/*]
  • Updated menus with a new design similar to that of the D70s, making them easier to view and quicker to recognize. [/*]
  • Added in-camera page setup support for PictBridge compatible printers. [/*]
Nikon Corporation will release the D70 firmware updater worldwide in mid-May 2005.
Old May 10, 2005, 7:46 PM   #9

Thanks for all the solid info - its a big help! I will look further at the Sigma lenses. I currently have a Series E 100mm 2.8, and a Tokina AF 70-210 4-5.6. The kit lense would probably be a good addition, then I'm thinking I should just play wth what I have before deciding what else I need. I don't see many Tokinas around anymore - have they esentially been replaced by the Sigmas?

Am I correct in my belief that both my lenses will work with the D70 (albeit going straight manual on the Series E)? I see that there's a section of the forum that talks about lenses, I'll have to spend some time there and see what nuggets of wisdom I can garner.

Now I just need to find the ultimate bargain on the D70 - they're out of stock at B&H already. This is bad......I'm getting psyched.